Showing 148 results

archival descriptions
Hatley Park Collection
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

124 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Hatley Park Collection

  • CA RRU 025-001
  • Collection
  • 1890-1990

There are several images of the castle, gardens and grounds at various points in time, as well as of Dunsmuir family members, and those of staff or contractors who worked on the Hatley Park estate. Some images are not from Hatley Park but have been included in collection because of their obvious connections, such as images of the Wellington mines.

Dunsmuir Family

Images show Dunsmuir family members in various contexts. Some photos predate the family habitation of Hatley Park

Hatley Park Estate

The Hatley Park estate was so named in 1889 when the land was purchased by Roland Stuart and Charles St. Aubyn Pearse. The name derives from the ancestral home of the Pearse family in England. When James Dunsmuir purchased the land in 1907, he acquired some surrounding property to expand the estate and hired Samuel Maclure to design the large family home, now known as Hatley Castle. In 1911, unsatisfied with the estate layout, Dunsmuir hired Brett and Hall, a Boston-based landscaping company, to develop the estate and model farm.

While the castle was under construction from 1908-1910, Dunsmuir also hired a Japanese gardener, Isaburo Kishida, to install a Japanese garden to the west of the family home. The garden was maintained and expanded by another Japanese gardener, Tadashi Noda, between 1913 and 1927.

In 1937, when Laura Dunsmuir died, the estate was managed by trustees until it was sold to the Canadian government in 1940. Various attempts were made to sell the property, including a promotional film by Douglas Flintoff.

Images show the Japanese gardens at various points in time, as well as some of the other buildings on the estate besides the castle. Also in this series are some pictures of Roland Stuart’s Hatley Park Estate.

Roland Stuart's Hatley Park

The Hatley Park estate was so named in 1889 when the land was purchased by Roland Stuart and Charles St. Aubyn Pearse. The name derives from the ancestral home of the Pearse family in England. Pearse died in 1901 and Stuart had a number of other business partners and tenant farmers who helped manage the estate.

A large fire destroyed the property in 1905 and shortly after, Roland Stuart put the estate up for sale.

Roland Stuart's Hatley Park home from the pond

Image shows the farmhouse at Roland Stuart's Hatley Park estate. In the foreground, the pond that would later form part of the Dunsmuirs' formal gardens is visible. Farm labourers are gathering hay.
In the summer of 1903, architect Ridgeway-Wilson was engaged to make some alterations to the home, including the use of a half timber and plaster finish. It is possible that this image post dates the improvements made.

Byrdie Dunsmuir's bridal party

Sarah Byrd 'Byrdie' Dunsmuir married Guy Audain, October 29, 1901. Photo is taken at the Dunsmuir family home, Burleith. L-R back: Maye; Sarah 'Byrdie'; Bessie; Marion; Elinor. Front: Muriel; Kathleen

Dunsmuir Family Group, ca. 1906

Top row L-R: Robin Dunsmuir; Maude (Shoobert) Dunsmuir; John Hope; Maurice Bromley-Wilson; Arthur Bromley; Maye (Dunsmuir) Bromley; Guy Audain. Middle row: Bessie (Dunsmuir) Hope; Laura (Surles) Dunsmuir; James 'Boy' Dunsmuir; James Dunsmuir; Sarah 'Byrdie' (Dunsmuir) Audain. Bottom row: Marion Dunsmuir; Kathleen Dunsmuir; Dola Dunsmuir; James Audain; Elinor Dunsmuir; Muriel Dunsmuir

Hatley Castle from south east under construction. Two men in foreground.

Hatley Castle from south east under construction. Two men in foreground. Windows not yet installed.
Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910. The construction was overseen by contractor, Thomas Catterall.

Hatley castle from south east with construction crew in front.

Hatley castle from south east with construction crew in front. Most windows have been installed, some scaffolding remains around terrace wall.
Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910. The construction was overseen by contractor, Thomas Catterall.

Hatley Castle under construction

Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910. The construction was overseen by contractor, Thomas Catterall.

castle from north east under construction with stonemasons in front

castle from north east under construction with stonemasons in front. Walls are mostly built and wood framing for roof is in place. Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910. The construction was overseen by contractor, Thomas Catterall.

Jameson/Jenkins

File 1 shows images of estate development under Brett and Hall. This work happened from 1911 to 1914 and these images appear to be the early stages of the work. File 2 contains pictures of newly completed estate buildings and other Hatley Park images from the Jameson family collections. File 3 is a picture of John and Olive Jameson at Hatley Park with their infant son, John Albert Jameson (Jack).

Results 1 to 25 of 148