Showing 61 results

archival descriptions
B. Citerley With digital objects
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

Hatley Park staff at a picnic on the beach

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-12
  • Item
  • 1910-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

Hatley Park staff and families are gathered for a picnic, probably at Esquimalt Lagoon beach. William Edward John ('Fred') Mann is on the right and Phillip Francis Hayward is on the left holding one of his daughters. At the back of the table is Harry Mann, the youngest son of WEJ and Harriet Mann.

Phillip Francis Hayward home soon after completion

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-83
  • Item
  • 1910-1915
  • Part of B. Citerley

The gardener's cottage outside the walled garden is one of three identical cottages on the Hatley Park estate. The other two are the footman's cottage to the North East of the castle and the butler's cottage by the lagoon on the east side of the creek that runs through the property.

Hatley Castle from the east driveway, soon after completion

Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910.

Phillip Francis Hayward in a greenhouse

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-16
  • Item
  • 1910-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

Phillip Francis Hayward is standing in a greenhouse full of potted, flowering plants. The shape of this greenhouse is not the same as the Lord and Burnham greenhouse and may have been on the estate prior to the improvements made by landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912 to 1914. It may also be somewhere other than Hatley Park.

Conservatory from North West

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-6
  • Item
  • 1910-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

The greenhouse and conservatory were constructed and installed by the Lord and Burnham Company and they later used the estate installation in their promotional material. The glass house complex had a full time manager and required 60 tons of coal and 200 cords of wood per year to heat. The ornate conservatory pictured had a central dome of about 30 ft square, with two side galleries, each 60 ft long. Flowers were grown inside that were intended for display in the castle and in later years it was also used for food production. According to a former gardener, interviewed in the 1950s, Laura Dunsmuir said that the conservatory was an extravagance in a private garden and that it should be in a public park.

Photo of a group of 20 people gathered around a table

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-13
  • Item
  • 1910-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

A large group of Hatley Park staff and families are gathered in the home of (probably) Peter and Ingeborg Bugslag, who are at the head of the table on the right hand side of the image. Also in the picture are some of the daughters of Peter and Ingeborg; John Jameson, footman, is possibly the man seated third from left and behind him are the chauffeur, Dirk Frans Van Maastricht, and gardener, Phillip Francis Hayward (holding his daughter). Other people are unidentified.

A man standing in a long greenhouse behind rows of potted geraniums

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-79
  • Item
  • 1910-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

The shape of this greenhouse is not the same as the Lord and Burnham greenhouses at Hatley Park and may have been on the estate prior to the improvements made by landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912 to 1914. It may also be somewhere other than Hatley Park.

Conservatory and header house from south. Vegetables are planted in front

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-53
  • Item
  • 1912-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

The header house for the greenhouse complex provided an indoor workspace without taking away from the growing space. The boilers used to heat the greenhouses were kept in the basement of this building.
The greenhouse and conservatory were constructed and installed by the Lord and Burnham Company. The glass house complex had a full time manager and required 60 tons of coal and 200 cords of wood per year to heat. The ornate conservatory had a central dome of about 30 ft square, with two side galleries, each 60 ft long. Flowers were grown inside that were intended for display in the castle and in later years it was also used for food production.
This image shows how the grounds around the greenhouse within the walled garden were also used as a kitchen garden, likely growing such vegetables as cabbages, cauliflower and brussells sprouts.

Hatley Castle through the trees from the northwest

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-59
  • Item
  • 1912-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910. The estate was further developed from 1912-1914 by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall. This included addition of a new entrance on Sooke Road that would bring the visitor down a winding, serpentine road to the main house. This view through the trees was the first glimpse the visitor had of the Dunsmuir's castle.

Inside Conservatory with central dome on left, steps down to greenhouse on the right

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-9
  • Item
  • 1912-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

The greenhouse and conservatory were constructed and installed by the Lord and Burnham Company and they later used the estate installation in their promotional material. The glass house complex had a full time manager and required 60 tons of coal and 200 cords of wood per year to heat. The ornate conservatory pictured had a central dome of about 30 ft square, with two side galleries, each 60 ft long. Flowers were grown inside that were intended for display in the castle and in later years it was also used for food production. According to a former gardener, interviewed in the 1950s, Laura Dunsmuir said that the conservatory was an extravagance in a private garden and that it should be in a public park.

Phillip Francis Hayward in work overalls at conservatory entrance

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-24
  • Item
  • 1912-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

The greenhouse and conservatory were constructed and installed by the Lord and Burnham Company and they later used the estate installation in their promotional material. The glass house complex had a full time manager and required 60 tons of coal and 200 cords of wood per year to heat. The ornate conservatory pictured had a central dome of about 30 ft square, with two side galleries, each 60 ft long. Flowers were grown inside that were intended for display in the castle and in later years it was also used for food production. According to a former gardener, interviewed in the 1950s, Laura Dunsmuir said that the conservatory was an extravagance in a private garden and that it should be in a public park.

Newly built garages from the west

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-28
  • Item
  • 1912-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

The stables and garage building was added as part of the extensive estate development by Brett and Hall, 1912-1914. The building was U-shaped with the stables on the east side and the garages on the west. Homes for the head coachman and the chauffeur were attached at the north end of each wing. The land around the building was cultivated for growing cereal crops.

Results 1 to 25 of 61