Showing 61 results

archival descriptions
B. Citerley With digital objects
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

Lord and Burnham Company (greenhouse manufacturer) advert with picture of Hatley Castle

The greenhouse and conservatory were constructed and installed by the Lord and Burnham Company and they later used the estate installation in their promotional material. The glass house complex had a full time manager and required 60 tons of coal and 200 cords of wood per year to heat. The ornate conservatory had a central dome of about 30 ft square, with two side galleries, each 60 ft long. Flowers were grown inside that were intended for display in the castle and in later years it was also used for food production. According to a former gardener, interviewed in the 1950s, Laura Dunsmuir said that the conservatory was an extravagance in a private garden and that it should be in a public park. This image is part of advertisement in the Florists' Review, published October 26, 1916.

Conservatory from North West

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-6
  • Item
  • 1910-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

The greenhouse and conservatory were constructed and installed by the Lord and Burnham Company and they later used the estate installation in their promotional material. The glass house complex had a full time manager and required 60 tons of coal and 200 cords of wood per year to heat. The ornate conservatory pictured had a central dome of about 30 ft square, with two side galleries, each 60 ft long. Flowers were grown inside that were intended for display in the castle and in later years it was also used for food production. According to a former gardener, interviewed in the 1950s, Laura Dunsmuir said that the conservatory was an extravagance in a private garden and that it should be in a public park.

Inside Conservatory with central dome on left, steps down to greenhouse on the right

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-9
  • Item
  • 1912-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

The greenhouse and conservatory were constructed and installed by the Lord and Burnham Company and they later used the estate installation in their promotional material. The glass house complex had a full time manager and required 60 tons of coal and 200 cords of wood per year to heat. The ornate conservatory pictured had a central dome of about 30 ft square, with two side galleries, each 60 ft long. Flowers were grown inside that were intended for display in the castle and in later years it was also used for food production. According to a former gardener, interviewed in the 1950s, Laura Dunsmuir said that the conservatory was an extravagance in a private garden and that it should be in a public park.

Photo of a group of 20 people gathered around a table

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-13
  • Item
  • 1910-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

A large group of Hatley Park staff and families are gathered in the home of (probably) Peter and Ingeborg Bugslag, who are at the head of the table on the right hand side of the image. Also in the picture are some of the daughters of Peter and Ingeborg; John Jameson, footman, is possibly the man seated third from left and behind him are the chauffeur, Dirk Frans Van Maastricht, and gardener, Phillip Francis Hayward (holding his daughter). Other people are unidentified.

Phillip Francis Hayward in work overalls at conservatory entrance

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-24
  • Item
  • 1912-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

The greenhouse and conservatory were constructed and installed by the Lord and Burnham Company and they later used the estate installation in their promotional material. The glass house complex had a full time manager and required 60 tons of coal and 200 cords of wood per year to heat. The ornate conservatory pictured had a central dome of about 30 ft square, with two side galleries, each 60 ft long. Flowers were grown inside that were intended for display in the castle and in later years it was also used for food production. According to a former gardener, interviewed in the 1950s, Laura Dunsmuir said that the conservatory was an extravagance in a private garden and that it should be in a public park.

Newly built garages from the west

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-28
  • Item
  • 1912-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

The stables and garage building was added as part of the extensive estate development by Brett and Hall, 1912-1914. The building was U-shaped with the stables on the east side and the garages on the west. Homes for the head coachman and the chauffeur were attached at the north end of each wing. The land around the building was cultivated for growing cereal crops.

Neptune Steps and fountain court at Hatley Park soon after completion.

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-60
  • Item
  • 1912-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

The Neptune Steps and Fountain Court to the north of the castle were added as part of extensive development of the Hatley Park estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914. Note that the lions were originally at the top as part of the fountain court. They moved to the base of the steps sometime between 1920 and 1937.

Greenhouses from the west

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-62
  • Item
  • 1912-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

The greenhouse and conservatory were constructed and installed by the Lord and Burnham Company as part of the estate development by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall. The glass house complex had a full time manager and required 60 tons of coal and 200 cords of wood per year to heat. The ornate conservatory had a central dome of about 30 ft square, with two side galleries, each 60 ft long. Flowers were grown inside that were intended for display in the castle and in later years it was also used for food production. According to a former gardener, interviewed in the 1950s, Laura Dunsmuir said that the conservatory was an extravagance in a private garden and that it should be in a public park.

Hayward family outside cottage at Hatley Park

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-64
  • Item
  • 1913-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

While this image does show the Hayward family outside a cottage at Hatley Park, the surrounding trees suggest it is not the gardener's cottage by the walled garden. Three identical cottages exist on the estate - the gardener's cottage, the footman's cottage, and the butler's cottage. This is most likely the footman's cottage at the north east of the estate, near the original stables and the service entrance to the estate.

A man standing in a long greenhouse behind rows of potted geraniums

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-79
  • Item
  • 1910-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

The shape of this greenhouse is not the same as the Lord and Burnham greenhouses at Hatley Park and may have been on the estate prior to the improvements made by landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912 to 1914. It may also be somewhere other than Hatley Park.

Hatley Castle from the east driveway, soon after completion

Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910.

Phillip Francis Hayward in a greenhouse

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-16
  • Item
  • 1910-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

Phillip Francis Hayward is standing in a greenhouse full of potted, flowering plants. The shape of this greenhouse is not the same as the Lord and Burnham greenhouse and may have been on the estate prior to the improvements made by landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912 to 1914. It may also be somewhere other than Hatley Park.

Results 1 to 25 of 61