Showing 927 results

archival descriptions
K. McCann
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

919 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Japanese garden panorama, part 2

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-143
  • Item
  • 1913-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

The upper Japanese garden at Hatley Park was designed by Japanese landscape architect Isaburo Kashida. The garden was installed in 1909 and developed by Tadashi Noda from 1913-1927. This image is part 2 of a 2 part panorama showing the upper Japanese garden.

Japanese garden and fishing bridge

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-144
  • Item
  • 1913-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

The upper Japanese garden at Hatley Park was designed by Japanese landscape architect Isaburo Kashida. The garden was installed in 1909 and developed by Tadashi Noda from 1913-1927. The images shows the rustic fishing bridge at the north end of the pond and cherry trees in bloom in the upper garden.

Tennis courts, Hatley Park

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-145
  • Item
  • 1913-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

The rose garden and tennis courts were added as part of extensive development of the estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914.

Rose garden, Hatley Park

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-147
  • Item
  • 1913-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

The rose garden to the west of the Japanese garden was added as part of extensive development of the estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914. The original plans show a small pond or reservoir in the centre of the garden but this was replaced with a sundial.

Rose garden sundial, Hatley Park

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-149
  • Item
  • 1913-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

The rose garden to the west of the Japanese garden was added as part of extensive development of the estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914. The original plans show a small pond or reservoir in the centre of the garden but this was replaced with a sundial.

Italian garden wall

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-15
  • Item
  • 1912-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910. The Italian garden to the west of the castle was added as part of extensive development of the estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914. This image shows a border in the Italian garden and the wall of the castle terrace.

Neptune fountain and statuary, Hatley Park

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-152
  • Item
  • 1913-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

The Neptune Steps and Fountain Court to the north of the castle were added as part of extensive development of the Hatley Park estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914.

Pavilion in Japanese garden, with people

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-153
  • Item
  • 1913-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

The upper Japanese garden at Hatley Park was designed by Japanese landscape architect Isaburo Kashida. The garden was installed in 1909 and developed by Tadashi Noda from 1913-1927.
The gardens at Hatley Park were frequently made available for fetes and fundraisers. Here people can be seen touring the Japanese garden.

waterwheel and garden arch, Japanese garden, Hatley Park

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-155
  • Item
  • 1913-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

The upper Japanese garden at Hatley Park was designed by Japanese landscape architect Isaburo Kashida. The garden was installed in 1909 and developed by Tadashi Noda from 1913-1927. This photo shows the upper garden with additions to Kishida's original design.

Child by magnolia tree in Japanese garden

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-157
  • Item
  • 1913-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

The upper Japanese garden at Hatley Park was designed by Japanese landscape architect Isaburo Kashida. The garden was installed in 1909 and developed by Tadashi Noda from 1913-1927. The child is thought to be one of Tadashi Noda's children.

Woman in Italian garden, north east corner

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-158
  • Item
  • 1913-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

The Italian garden to the west of the castle was added as part of extensive development of the Hatley Park estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914.

Waterwheel and bridges in Japanese garden

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-16
  • Item
  • 1913-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

The upper Japanese garden at Hatley Park was designed by Japanese landscape architect Isaburo Kashida. The garden was installed in 1909 and developed by Tadashi Noda from 1913-1927. This image is looking south from the waterwheel and shows the fishing bridge, floating bridge and pavilion, as well as a wisteria arbour to the left of the waterwheel.

Japanese garden pond and pavilion

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-163
  • Item
  • 1913-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

The upper Japanese garden at Hatley Park was designed by Japanese landscape architect Isaburo Kashida. The garden was installed in 1909 and developed by Tadashi Noda from 1913-1927. In this picture, a small island with two metal crane sculptures can be seen.

A cottage in Wellington

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-169
  • Item
  • 1890-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

Wellington, north of Nanaimo, was the site of the first of the many mines Robert and James Dunsmuir would establish on Vancouver Island. Modest cottages were built for the miners employed in the mines.

Fishing bridge in Japanese garden, from north

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-17
  • Item
  • 1913-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

The upper Japanese garden at Hatley Park was designed by Japanese landscape architect Isaburo Kashida. The garden was installed in 1909 and developed by Tadashi Noda from 1913-1927. Visible are the fishing bridge, the floating bridge and the pavilion.

Kwakiutl housepost at Knight's Inlet

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-170
  • Item
  • 1890-1913
  • Part of K. McCann

In 1913, James Dunsmuir acquired a wooden structure created by the Kwakwaka'wakw people to be used as a gate entrance to the Japanese garden. The sculpture was carved from western red cedar and had three upright pieces joined by a horizontal lintel. The sculpture was located at the Dunsmuir property from 1913-1938. The posts were originally intended for the inside of a house in Dzawadi and were carved around 1884, but the house was never completed and the house posts were left until they were bought by a collector who later sold them to James Dunsmuir. Dzawadi is about 100km northeast of Alert Bay and within the traditional territory of the Da’naxda’xw Awaetlala First Nation. This images shows the house posts in their original location.
In 1938, after Laura Dunsmuir’s death, the posts were sold to George Heye, who was a well-known collector of anthropological and archeological artefacts of the Americas. The posts were part of the collection at the Museum of the American Indian in New York until 1975 when they were bought by the National Museum of Canada.
A conservator's report from the Canadian museum shows that the posts were damaged before they were positioned at Hatley Park. Careful restoration work had occurred when the house posts were relocated to the Dunsmuir estate. New wood pieces had been skillfully added to replace damage caused by a grass fire in its original location. A second, less careful restoration took place sometime after 1936, provable by the fact that pages of newspaper from that year were found used as filling material under a crude plaster and papier mache repair.

Okanagan orchard or vineyard

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-172
  • Item
  • 1905-1909
  • Part of K. McCann

Dunsmuir daughter, Sarah Byrd (Byrdie), and her husband Guy Audain bought some property on the shore of Okanagan Lake. At the time it was known as Short's Point and Guy Audain intended to establish an orchard there with the name Byrd's Island. Their plans changed and the property was sold to James Dunwaters in 1909. It later became known as Fintry.

Two unidentified men in clearing in Okanagan

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-173
  • Item
  • 1905-1909
  • Part of K. McCann

Dunsmuir daughter, Sarah Byrd (Byrdie), and her husband Guy Audain bought some property on the shore of Okanagan Lake. At the time it was known as Short's Point and Guy Audain intended to establish an orchard there with the name Byrd's Island. Their plans changed and the property was sold to James Dunwaters in 1909. It later became known as Fintry. 

Okanagan orchard or vineyard

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-174
  • Item
  • 1905-1909
  • Part of K. McCann

Dunsmuir daughter, Sarah Byrd (Byrdie), and her husband Guy Audain bought some property on the shore of Okanagan Lake. At the time it was known as Short's Point and Guy Audain intended to establish an orchard there with the name Byrd's Island. Their plans changed and the property was sold to James Dunwaters in 1909. It later became known as Fintry. 

Results 51 to 75 of 927