Print preview Close

Showing 927 results

archival descriptions
K. McCann
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

919 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

waterwheel and garden arch, Japanese garden, Hatley Park

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-155
  • Item
  • 1913-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

The upper Japanese garden at Hatley Park was designed by Japanese landscape architect Isaburo Kashida. The garden was installed in 1909 and developed by Tadashi Noda from 1913-1927. This photo shows the upper garden with additions to Kishida's original design.

Child by magnolia tree in Japanese garden

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-157
  • Item
  • 1913-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

The upper Japanese garden at Hatley Park was designed by Japanese landscape architect Isaburo Kashida. The garden was installed in 1909 and developed by Tadashi Noda from 1913-1927. The child is thought to be one of Tadashi Noda's children.

Woman in Italian garden, north east corner

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-158
  • Item
  • 1913-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

The Italian garden to the west of the castle was added as part of extensive development of the Hatley Park estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914.

A cottage in Wellington

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-169
  • Item
  • 1890-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

Wellington, north of Nanaimo, was the site of the first of the many mines Robert and James Dunsmuir would establish on Vancouver Island. Modest cottages were built for the miners employed in the mines.

Okanagan orchard or vineyard

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-172
  • Item
  • 1905-1909
  • Part of K. McCann

Dunsmuir daughter, Sarah Byrd (Byrdie), and her husband Guy Audain bought some property on the shore of Okanagan Lake. At the time it was known as Short's Point and Guy Audain intended to establish an orchard there with the name Byrd's Island. Their plans changed and the property was sold to James Dunwaters in 1909. It later became known as Fintry.

Kwakiutl housepost at Knight's Inlet

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-170
  • Item
  • 1890-1913
  • Part of K. McCann

In 1913, James Dunsmuir acquired a wooden structure created by the Kwakwaka'wakw people to be used as a gate entrance to the Japanese garden. The sculpture was carved from western red cedar and had three upright pieces joined by a horizontal lintel. The sculpture was located at the Dunsmuir property from 1913-1938. The posts were originally intended for the inside of a house in Dzawadi and were carved around 1884, but the house was never completed and the house posts were left until they were bought by a collector who later sold them to James Dunsmuir. Dzawadi is about 100km northeast of Alert Bay and within the traditional territory of the Da’naxda’xw Awaetlala First Nation. This images shows the house posts in their original location.
In 1938, after Laura Dunsmuir’s death, the posts were sold to George Heye, who was a well-known collector of anthropological and archeological artefacts of the Americas. The posts were part of the collection at the Museum of the American Indian in New York until 1975 when they were bought by the National Museum of Canada.
A conservator's report from the Canadian museum shows that the posts were damaged before they were positioned at Hatley Park. Careful restoration work had occurred when the house posts were relocated to the Dunsmuir estate. New wood pieces had been skillfully added to replace damage caused by a grass fire in its original location. A second, less careful restoration took place sometime after 1936, provable by the fact that pages of newspaper from that year were found used as filling material under a crude plaster and papier mache repair.

Hatley Castle from west, from Italian garden

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-183
  • Item
  • 1913-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

The Italian garden to the west of the castle was added as part of extensive development of the Hatley Park estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914.

Two unidentified men in clearing in Okanagan

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-173
  • Item
  • 1905-1909
  • Part of K. McCann

Dunsmuir daughter, Sarah Byrd (Byrdie), and her husband Guy Audain bought some property on the shore of Okanagan Lake. At the time it was known as Short's Point and Guy Audain intended to establish an orchard there with the name Byrd's Island. Their plans changed and the property was sold to James Dunwaters in 1909. It later became known as Fintry. 

Okanagan orchard or vineyard

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-174
  • Item
  • 1905-1909
  • Part of K. McCann

Dunsmuir daughter, Sarah Byrd (Byrdie), and her husband Guy Audain bought some property on the shore of Okanagan Lake. At the time it was known as Short's Point and Guy Audain intended to establish an orchard there with the name Byrd's Island. Their plans changed and the property was sold to James Dunwaters in 1909. It later became known as Fintry. 

Hatley Castle terrace, with awning and furniture

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-184
  • Item
  • 1913-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910.

Results 151 to 175 of 927