Showing 56 results

archival descriptions
Series
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

Family Album: Haywards at Hatley Park

  • CA RRU 025-008-1
  • Series
  • 1910-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

Images in this series are from an album compiled by Ella Hayward and show the Hayward family at Hatley Park from 1910 to 1920, as well as newspaper clippings about Dunsmuir family members.

Peachey

Photos show the family gathered at the Peachey home by the old stables at Hatley Park. These stables were converted to apartments by Laura Dunsmuir. There are also photos in the croquet garden.

Peachey, Frederick Arthur

Dunsmuir Family

Images show Dunsmuir family members in various contexts. Some photos predate the family habitation of Hatley Park

Jameson/Jenkins

File 1 shows images of estate development under Brett and Hall. This work happened from 1911 to 1914 and these images appear to be the early stages of the work. File 2 contains pictures of newly completed estate buildings and other Hatley Park images from the Jameson family collections. File 3 is a picture of John and Olive Jameson at Hatley Park with their infant son, John Albert Jameson (Jack).

Hatley Park Estate

The Hatley Park estate was so named in 1889 when the land was purchased by Roland Stuart and Charles St. Aubyn Pearse. The name derives from the ancestral home of the Pearse family in England. When James Dunsmuir purchased the land in 1907, he acquired some surrounding property to expand the estate and hired Samuel Maclure to design the large family home, now known as Hatley Castle. In 1911, unsatisfied with the estate layout, Dunsmuir hired Brett and Hall, a Boston-based landscaping company, to develop the estate and model farm.

While the castle was under construction from 1908-1910, Dunsmuir also hired a Japanese gardener, Isaburo Kishida, to install a Japanese garden to the west of the family home. The garden was maintained and expanded by another Japanese gardener, Tadashi Noda, between 1913 and 1927.

In 1937, when Laura Dunsmuir died, the estate was managed by trustees until it was sold to the Canadian government in 1940. Various attempts were made to sell the property, including a promotional film by Douglas Flintoff.

Images show the Japanese gardens at various points in time, as well as some of the other buildings on the estate besides the castle. Also in this series are some pictures of Roland Stuart’s Hatley Park Estate.

Booklets

  • booklet “Views: The Royal Canadian Naval College”
  • booklet “The Royal Canadian Naval College Royal Roads British Columbia Prospectus 1944-45

Hatley Castle

Hatley Castle was designed by Samuel Maclure and built by contractor Thomas Catterall between 1908 and 1910. The castle was owned by the Dunsmuir family from 1908 until 1940 when it was purchased by the Canadian government for use as a Naval training establishment.

Photographs

  • CA RRU 025-002-1
  • Series
  • ca. 1890-1960, predominant 1908-1940
  • Part of K. McCann

The photographs cover a period from the late 1800’s up to the 1960’s. They include images of Hatley Castle, designed by Samuel Maclure, the Japanese Garden, Italian Garden and the Rose Garden and surrounding grounds designed by the Boston landscape architectural firm of Brett and Hall. Buildings on the property include the stables, garage, tennis courts, barns and a Lord and Burnham designed greenhouse. There are also many images of Dunsmuir family members, friends, visitors to Hatley Park and other properties, and trips to other destinations. These people and locations are not always identified.

Ephemera

  • CA RRU 025-002-2
  • Series
  • ca. 1890-1965, predominant 1908-1940
  • Part of K. McCann

The signed Crimson Paradise brochure is from the premiere of the film in Victoria on December 14, 1933. Kathleen (Dunsmuir) Humphreys helped finance and acted in the Kenneth Bishop film.
The 25 page Maynard auction catalogue lists the contents of Hatley Park that were for sale during the week long auction, June 1-6, 1939.
The Dolaura visitors book for the Dunsmuir family yacht was started in June of 1908. Although the family owned the yacht until 1920, the book fell out of use after 1911 until it was revived as the visitors book for Dola (Dunsmuir) Cavendish's home, also known as Dolaura. Names in this section of the book date from 1942-1965.

The Log yearbook

The Log is a published annual produced by the students of Royal Roads Military College and its antecedents. The Log contains photographs and articles about events and sports on campus, as well as provides biographies of graduating cadets.

Yearbooks

4 "The Log" yearbooks from Royal Roads Military College, 1992 through the last year, 1995

Academic

The photographs in this sub-series depict the academic life of officer cadets while they studied at Royal Roads Military College (and its antecedents).

Results 1 to 25 of 56