Showing 6 results

archival descriptions
Hatley Park Collection Series
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

Peachey

Photos show the family gathered at the Peachey home by the old stables at Hatley Park. These stables were converted to apartments by Laura Dunsmuir. There are also photos in the croquet garden.

Peachey, Frederick Arthur

Dunsmuir Family

Images show Dunsmuir family members in various contexts. Some photos predate the family habitation of Hatley Park

Jameson/Jenkins

File 1 shows images of estate development under Brett and Hall. This work happened from 1911 to 1914 and these images appear to be the early stages of the work. File 2 contains pictures of newly completed estate buildings and other Hatley Park images from the Jameson family collections. File 3 is a picture of John and Olive Jameson at Hatley Park with their infant son, John Albert Jameson (Jack).

Hatley Park Estate

The Hatley Park estate was so named in 1889 when the land was purchased by Roland Stuart and Charles St. Aubyn Pearse. The name derives from the ancestral home of the Pearse family in England. When James Dunsmuir purchased the land in 1907, he acquired some surrounding property to expand the estate and hired Samuel Maclure to design the large family home, now known as Hatley Castle. In 1911, unsatisfied with the estate layout, Dunsmuir hired Brett and Hall, a Boston-based landscaping company, to develop the estate and model farm.

While the castle was under construction from 1908-1910, Dunsmuir also hired a Japanese gardener, Isaburo Kishida, to install a Japanese garden to the west of the family home. The garden was maintained and expanded by another Japanese gardener, Tadashi Noda, between 1913 and 1927.

In 1937, when Laura Dunsmuir died, the estate was managed by trustees until it was sold to the Canadian government in 1940. Various attempts were made to sell the property, including a promotional film by Douglas Flintoff.

Images show the Japanese gardens at various points in time, as well as some of the other buildings on the estate besides the castle. Also in this series are some pictures of Roland Stuart’s Hatley Park Estate.

Hatley Castle

Hatley Castle was designed by Samuel Maclure and built by contractor Thomas Catterall between 1908 and 1910. The castle was owned by the Dunsmuir family from 1908 until 1940 when it was purchased by the Canadian government for use as a Naval training establishment.