Showing 61 results

archival descriptions
B. Citerley With digital objects
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

Hatley Castle from the east driveway, soon after completion

Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910.

Phillip Francis Hayward home soon after completion

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-83
  • Item
  • 1910-1915
  • Part of B. Citerley

The gardener's cottage outside the walled garden is one of three identical cottages on the Hatley Park estate. The other two are the footman's cottage to the North East of the castle and the butler's cottage by the lagoon on the east side of the creek that runs through the property.

Baby Frances Hayward and Ella Hayward outside Hayward home at Hatley Park

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-5
  • Item
  • 1913-1916
  • Part of B. Citerley

Phillip Francis Hayward and his family lived in the gardener’s cottage on the west side of the walled garden. His youngest daughter, Frances, was born there in 1913. In this image, the children can be seen playing in the front yard of the cottage as a truck is passing by on the road outside the walled garden.

Newspaper clipping: Florist's Review October 26, 1916, The Lord Dunsmuir Greenhouses at Vancouver, BC

The clipping is part of an advertisement for Lord and Burnham Greenhouses, published in the Florists' Review, October 26, 1916. Note that the headline incorrectly places Hatley Park in Vancouver, B.C., and incorrectly titles James Dunsmuir as a Lord.

The greenhouse and conservatory were constructed and installed by the Lord and Burnham Company and they later used the estate installation in their promotional material. The glass house complex had a full time manager and required 60 tons of coal and 200 cords of wood per year to heat. The ornate conservatory had a central dome of about 30 ft square, with two side galleries, each 60 ft long. Flowers were grown inside that were intended for display in the castle and in later years it was also used for food production. According to a former gardener, interviewed in the 1950s, Laura Dunsmuir said that the conservatory was an extravagance in a private garden and that it should be in a public park.

Lord and Burnham Company (greenhouse manufacturer) advert with picture of Hatley Castle

The greenhouse and conservatory were constructed and installed by the Lord and Burnham Company and they later used the estate installation in their promotional material. The glass house complex had a full time manager and required 60 tons of coal and 200 cords of wood per year to heat. The ornate conservatory had a central dome of about 30 ft square, with two side galleries, each 60 ft long. Flowers were grown inside that were intended for display in the castle and in later years it was also used for food production. According to a former gardener, interviewed in the 1950s, Laura Dunsmuir said that the conservatory was an extravagance in a private garden and that it should be in a public park. This image is part of advertisement in the Florists' Review, published October 26, 1916.

Hatley Park staff at a picnic on the beach

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-12
  • Item
  • 1910-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

Hatley Park staff and families are gathered for a picnic, probably at Esquimalt Lagoon beach. William Edward John ('Fred') Mann is on the right and Phillip Francis Hayward is on the left holding one of his daughters. At the back of the table is Harry Mann, the youngest son of WEJ and Harriet Mann.

Postcard of Hatley Castle and Italian garden

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-49
  • Item
  • 1915-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

Postcard image of the Italian garden at Hatley Park by John L. Barnard. The postcard may be more modern than the period for other images in this album. It may have been collected by Ella Hayward at a later date.

Hatley Castle from Japanese garden with bridge in foreground

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-54
  • Item
  • 1915-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

The upper Japanese garden at Hatley Park was designed by Japanese landscape architect Isaburo Kishida. The garden was installed in 1909 and developed by Tadashi Noda from 1913-1927. The bridge seen in this photo is part of the developments made by Tadashi Noda.

Hatley Park staff at a picnic on a beach.

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-84
  • Item
  • 1913-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

Hatley Park staff and families are gathered for a picnic, probably at Esquimalt Lagoon beach. Coachman, William Edward John ('Fred') Mann is on the right and Phillip Francis Hayward is on the left holding one of his daughters. At the back of the table is Harry Mann, the youngest son of WEJ and Harriet Mann.

Phillip Francis Hayward in a greenhouse

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-16
  • Item
  • 1910-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

Phillip Francis Hayward is standing in a greenhouse full of potted, flowering plants. The shape of this greenhouse is not the same as the Lord and Burnham greenhouse and may have been on the estate prior to the improvements made by landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912 to 1914. It may also be somewhere other than Hatley Park.

child in a toy car

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-37
  • Item
  • 1913-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

This toy car is also visible in the K. McCann fonds, image 1-3-85, where an adult woman is seated in the car in the Italian garden.

Conservatory and header house from south. Vegetables are planted in front

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-53
  • Item
  • 1912-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

The header house for the greenhouse complex provided an indoor workspace without taking away from the growing space. The boilers used to heat the greenhouses were kept in the basement of this building.
The greenhouse and conservatory were constructed and installed by the Lord and Burnham Company. The glass house complex had a full time manager and required 60 tons of coal and 200 cords of wood per year to heat. The ornate conservatory had a central dome of about 30 ft square, with two side galleries, each 60 ft long. Flowers were grown inside that were intended for display in the castle and in later years it was also used for food production.
This image shows how the grounds around the greenhouse within the walled garden were also used as a kitchen garden, likely growing such vegetables as cabbages, cauliflower and brussells sprouts.

Hatley Castle through the trees from the northwest

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-59
  • Item
  • 1912-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910. The estate was further developed from 1912-1914 by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall. This included addition of a new entrance on Sooke Road that would bring the visitor down a winding, serpentine road to the main house. This view through the trees was the first glimpse the visitor had of the Dunsmuir's castle.

Results 1 to 25 of 61