Affichage de 2252 résultats

description archivistique
Options de recherche avancée
Aperçu avant impression Affichage :

1648 résultats avec objets numériques Afficher les résultats avec des objets numériques

Loggia columns in Italian garden

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-53
  • Pièce
  • 1912-1937
  • Fait partie de K. McCann

The Italian garden to the west of the castle was added as part of extensive development of the Hatley Park estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914. The west end of the garden features a loggia with ornate columns.

Conservatory from north west, Hatley Park

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-56
  • Pièce
  • 1912-1937
  • Fait partie de K. McCann

The walled garden and tennis courts were added as part of extensive development of the estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914. The walled garden contained vegetable and fruit crops as well as the greenhouse complex. The greenhouse and conservatory had a full time manager and required 60 tons of coal and 200 cords of wood per year to heat. The ornate conservatory pictured had a central dome of about 30 ft square, with two side galleries, each 60 ft long. Flowers were grown inside that were intended for display in the castle and in later years it was also used for food production. According to a former gardener, interviewed in the 1950s, Laura Dunsmuir said that the conservatory was an extravagance in a private garden and that it should be in a public park.

Kwakiutl housepost at Hatley Park

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-73
  • Pièce
  • 1913-1937
  • Fait partie de K. McCann

In 1913, James Dunsmuir acquired a wooden structure created by the Kwakwaka'wakw people to be used as a gate entrance to the Japanese garden. The sculpture was carved from western red cedar and had three upright pieces joined by a horizontal lintel. The picture shows their position on the grounds of Hatley Park. The sculpture was located at the Dunsmuir property from 1913-1938. The posts were originally intended for the inside of a house in Dzawadi and were carved around 1884, but the house was never completed and the house posts were left until they were bought by a collector who later sold them to James Dunsmuir. Dzawadi is about 100km northeast of Alert Bay and within the traditional territory of the Da’naxda’xw Awaetlala First Nation.
In 1938, after Laura Dunsmuir’s death, the posts were sold to George Heye, who was a well-known collector of anthropological and archeological artefacts of the Americas. The posts were part of the collection at the Museum of the American Indian in New York until 1975 when they were bought by the National Museum of Canada.
A conservator's report from the Canadian museum shows that the posts were damaged before they were positioned at Hatley Park. Careful restoration work had occurred when the house posts were relocated to the Dunsmuir estate. New wood pieces had been skillfully added to replace damage caused by a grass fire in its original location. A second, less careful restoration took place sometime after 1936, provable by the fact that pages of newspaper from that year were found used as filling material under a crude plaster and papier mache repair.

Fishing bridge, Japanese garden

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-77
  • Pièce
  • 1913-1937
  • Fait partie de K. McCann

The upper Japanese garden at Hatley Park was designed by Japanese landscape architect Isaburo Kashida. The garden was installed in 1909 and developed by Tadashi Noda from 1913-1927. A rustic wooden fishing bridge was positioned at the north end of the pond.

Interior, Hatley Park

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-88
  • Pièce
  • 1913-1937
  • Fait partie de K. McCann

Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910.
This image of a room inside Hatley Castle is likely the bedroom suite on the third floor of the central tower. Initially intended for James Dunsmuir Jr., this large suite was inhabited by Elinor Dunsmuir in the 1930s.

Interior, bedroom at Hatley Park

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-91
  • Pièce
  • 1913-1937
  • Fait partie de K. McCann

Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910.
This bed is likely situated in the third floor bedroom of the central tower. Initially intended for James Dunsmuir Jr. it was inhabited by Elinor Dunsmuir in the 1930s.

Road through grounds, Hatley Park

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-114
  • Pièce
  • 1913-1937
  • Fait partie de K. McCann

Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. The estate was further developed from 1912-1914 by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall. This included addition of a new entrance on Sooke Road that would bring the visitor down a winding, serpentine road to the main house. An extensive network of roads and trails were added to the estate.

Hatley Castle, from north west

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-116
  • Pièce
  • 1913-1937
  • Fait partie de K. McCann

Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910.

Hatley castle from Italian garden, north west side

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-122
  • Pièce
  • 1913-1937
  • Fait partie de K. McCann

The Italian garden to the west of the castle was added as part of extensive development of the Hatley Park estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914. The pathway here on the north side of the garden clearly shows that it is raised in the centre to assist drainage.

Hatley castle from Italian garden, south west side

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-124
  • Pièce
  • 1913-1937
  • Fait partie de K. McCann

The Italian garden to the west of the castle was added as part of extensive development of the Hatley Park estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914.

Hatley castle from Italian garden, south east corner

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-125
  • Pièce
  • 1913-1937
  • Fait partie de K. McCann

The Italian garden to the west of the castle was added as part of extensive development of the Hatley Park estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914.

Italian garden, from south east corner

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-126
  • Pièce
  • 1913-1937
  • Fait partie de K. McCann

The Italian garden to the west of the castle was added as part of extensive development of the Hatley Park estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914.

Under the loggia, Italian garden, Hatley Park

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-128
  • Pièce
  • 1913-1937
  • Fait partie de K. McCann

The Italian garden to the west of the castle was added as part of extensive development of the Hatley Park estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914.

Japanese garden in bloom, Hatley Park

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-138
  • Pièce
  • 1913-1937
  • Fait partie de K. McCann

The upper Japanese garden at Hatley Park was designed by Japanese landscape architect Isaburo Kashida. The garden was installed in 1909 and developed by Tadashi Noda from 1913-1927.

Floating wisteria arbour in Japanese garden, Hatley Park

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-140
  • Pièce
  • 1913-1937
  • Fait partie de K. McCann

The upper Japanese garden at Hatley Park was designed by Japanese landscape architect Isaburo Kashida. The garden was installed in 1909 and developed by Tadashi Noda from 1913-1927.
The wooden floating wisteria arbour was replaced with a metal structure during the military college era.

Tennis courts, Hatley Park

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-145
  • Pièce
  • 1913-1937
  • Fait partie de K. McCann

The rose garden and tennis courts were added as part of extensive development of the estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914.

waterwheel and garden arch, Japanese garden, Hatley Park

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-155
  • Pièce
  • 1913-1937
  • Fait partie de K. McCann

The upper Japanese garden at Hatley Park was designed by Japanese landscape architect Isaburo Kashida. The garden was installed in 1909 and developed by Tadashi Noda from 1913-1927. This photo shows the upper garden with additions to Kishida's original design.

Child by magnolia tree in Japanese garden

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-157
  • Pièce
  • 1913-1937
  • Fait partie de K. McCann

The upper Japanese garden at Hatley Park was designed by Japanese landscape architect Isaburo Kashida. The garden was installed in 1909 and developed by Tadashi Noda from 1913-1927. The child is thought to be one of Tadashi Noda's children.

Woman in Italian garden, north east corner

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-158
  • Pièce
  • 1913-1937
  • Fait partie de K. McCann

The Italian garden to the west of the castle was added as part of extensive development of the Hatley Park estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914.

Kwakiutl housepost at Knight's Inlet

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-170
  • Pièce
  • 1890-1913
  • Fait partie de K. McCann

In 1913, James Dunsmuir acquired a wooden structure created by the Kwakwaka'wakw people to be used as a gate entrance to the Japanese garden. The sculpture was carved from western red cedar and had three upright pieces joined by a horizontal lintel. The sculpture was located at the Dunsmuir property from 1913-1938. The posts were originally intended for the inside of a house in Dzawadi and were carved around 1884, but the house was never completed and the house posts were left until they were bought by a collector who later sold them to James Dunsmuir. Dzawadi is about 100km northeast of Alert Bay and within the traditional territory of the Da’naxda’xw Awaetlala First Nation. This images shows the house posts in their original location.
In 1938, after Laura Dunsmuir’s death, the posts were sold to George Heye, who was a well-known collector of anthropological and archeological artefacts of the Americas. The posts were part of the collection at the Museum of the American Indian in New York until 1975 when they were bought by the National Museum of Canada.
A conservator's report from the Canadian museum shows that the posts were damaged before they were positioned at Hatley Park. Careful restoration work had occurred when the house posts were relocated to the Dunsmuir estate. New wood pieces had been skillfully added to replace damage caused by a grass fire in its original location. A second, less careful restoration took place sometime after 1936, provable by the fact that pages of newspaper from that year were found used as filling material under a crude plaster and papier mache repair.

Résultats 2051 à 2075 sur 2252