Showing 2022 results

archival descriptions
Item
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

1648 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

view from Japanese Garden pavilion, Hatley Park

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-4-144
  • Item
  • 1938-1940
  • Part of K. McCann

The upper Japanese garden at Hatley Park was designed by Japanese landscape architect Isaburo Kishida. The garden was installed in 1909 and developed by Tadashi Noda from 1913-1927.

View from Miss Ransom and Miss Bridges’ School in Piedmont, California

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-3-180
  • Item
  • 1920
  • Part of K. McCann

Miss Ransom and Miss Bridges’ School for girls in Piedmont, California, existed from 1908 to 1932. Low enrollments during the Depression years forced the school to close. However, when Dola Dunsmuir attended in 1920, the school was thriving. More than a finishing school for young ladies, the school offered a challenging curriculum for university preparation. The school had accommodation for 50 girls and offered frequent outings to concerts and plays as well as riding and hiking clubs. Students also performed an annual Shakespeare play. The caption for this image reads: My first impressions!

View of lawns and ponds from castle tower

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-69
  • Item
  • 1912-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

The view from the castle tower towards the south west shows how much land was cleared for pasture and the south side of the walled garden. The three ponds created from a natural creek on this side of the estate are clearly visible. The largest 'upper' pond is part of the Japanese garden. In the foreground the croquet lawn is visible, as are the fences that separate the manicured lawns from pastureland south of the castle.

view of newly completed mews courtyard, west side

The U-shaped stables and garage building was built as part of the estate development by Boston based landscape architects Brett and Hall between 1912 and 1914. The coachman's home was attached to the stables at the east side of the building and the chauffeur’s home was attached to the garages on the west side. Above the garages were single person's accommodation. This image is looking into the south west corner of the courtyard. The carriage house formed the central, south side of the building.

View of pond, Japanese garden

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-84
  • Item
  • 1913-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

The upper Japanese garden at Hatley Park was designed by Japanese landscape architect Isaburo Kashida. The garden was installed in 1909 and developed by Tadashi Noda from 1913-1927. This damaged photo shows a view from the Japanese garden across the lower pond.

view out window of sun porch, Journey's End

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-4-163
  • Item
  • 1938-1940
  • Part of K. McCann

In 1928, Muriel Dunsmuir married Maurice “Tolly” Wingfield and by 1932, they had built Journey’s End, a home adjacent to the Hatley Park property and in the Arts and Crafts style. Tolly died in 1941. In 1952, the house was used as a staff residence for Canadian Services College Royal Roads and since 1988, it has been the administration building for Fort Rodd Hill National Historic Park.

view to ocean, Journey's End

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-4-164
  • Item
  • 1938-1940
  • Part of K. McCann

In 1928, Muriel Dunsmuir married Maurice “Tolly” Wingfield and by 1932, they had built Journey’s End, a home adjacent to the Hatley Park property and in the Arts and Crafts style. Tolly died in 1941. In 1952, the house was used as a staff residence for Canadian Services College Royal Roads and since 1988, it has been the administration building for Fort Rodd Hill National Historic Park.

view to ocean, Journey's End

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-4-165
  • Item
  • 1938-1940
  • Part of K. McCann

In 1928, Muriel Dunsmuir married Maurice “Tolly” Wingfield and by 1932, they had built Journey’s End, a home adjacent to the Hatley Park property and in the Arts and Crafts style. Tolly died in 1941. In 1952, the house was used as a staff residence for Canadian Services College Royal Roads and since 1988, it has been the administration building for Fort Rodd Hill National Historic Park.

Walking club tour

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-3-247
  • Item
  • 1920
  • Part of K. McCann

Miss Ransom and Miss Bridges’ School for girls in Piedmont, California, existed from 1908 to 1932. Low enrollments during the Depression years forced the school to close. However, when Dola Dunsmuir attended in 1920, the school was thriving. More than a finishing school for young ladies, the school offered a challenging curriculum for university preparation. The school had accommodation for 50 girls and offered frequent outings to concerts and plays as well as riding and hiking clubs. Students also performed an annual Shakespeare play. This picture shows some of Dola’s school friends on one of the many outings.

Walled garden wall and tennis court, Hatley Park

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-37
  • Item
  • 1912-1920
  • Part of K. McCann

The walled garden and tennis courts were added as part of extensive development of the estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914. The walled garden contained vegetable and fruit crops as well as the greenhouse complex. 

war memorial, Vimy

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-3-313
  • Item
  • 1921-1924
  • Part of K. McCann

In the early 1920s, Dunsmuir sisters, Dola and Muriel, and Muriel’s husband, Edward Molyneux, took time to tour the ruins of Europe in the aftermath of the war. Edward Molyneux was an ideal tour guide for the sisters, having served in 1915 with the Duke of Wellington Regiment on the Western Front. Although he was promoted to Captain for his actions in battle, injury resulted in the loss of sight in his left eye and withdrawal from active duty.

Water mains

October 2 1962. Drawn by DY. Some possibly original notes on back. Spots on plan marked in orange pencil.

Waterfall, Hatley Park

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-64
  • Item
  • 1910-1940
  • Part of K. McCann

This waterfall is on the north east side of the Hatley Park estate, along Colwood Creek.

Waterfall, Hatley Park

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-68
  • Item
  • 1910-1940
  • Part of K. McCann

This waterfall is on the north east side of the Hatley Park property, along Colwood Creek.

Results 1851 to 1875 of 2022