Showing 148 results

archival descriptions
Hatley Park Collection
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

125 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Newly completed conservatory north side. Looking south east

The greenhouse and conservatory were constructed and installed by the Lord and Burnham Company and they later used the estate installation in their promotional material. The glass house complex had a full time manager and required 60 tons of coal and 200 cords of wood per year to heat. The ornate conservatory pictured had a central dome of about 30 ft square, with two side galleries, each 60 ft long. Flowers were grown inside that were intended for display in the castle and in later years it was also used for food production. According to a former gardener, interviewed in the 1950s, Laura Dunsmuir said that the conservatory was an extravagance in a private garden and that it should be in a public park.

Newly completed Hatley Castle from site of future croquet lawn

Newly completed Hatley Castle from site of future croquet lawn (before Italian and croquet are installed). Note screens on west end of terrace. Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910.

Original stables courtyard with 5 horses on display. The building was later converted to apartments

When Samuel Maclure constructed Hatley Park, 1908-1910, several other buildings were also constructed as part of the estate, including a stables and separate garage at the top of the hill near Sooke Road. After the Dunsmuirs moved in, they decided some elements of the estate design were not satisfactory and hired Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall to make improvements. One of the improvements they made was to move the stables and garages closer to the main house and farming area. Laura Dunsmuir later converted the former stables into apartments for staff and/or family and visitors.

panoramic photo of Hatley Park from garden ponds. Italian garden is under construction

The Italian garden is under construction and early Japanese garden (pre stone lined pond) is visible.
The Italian garden to the west of the castle was added as part of extensive development of the Hatley Park estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914.
The upper Japanese garden at Hatley Park was designed by Japanese landscape architect Isaburo Kishida. The garden was installed in 1909 and developed by Tadashi Noda from 1913-1927.

Peachey

Photos show the family gathered at the Peachey home by the old stables at Hatley Park. These stables were converted to apartments by Laura Dunsmuir. There are also photos in the croquet garden.

Peachey, Frederick Arthur

Real Estate film

1- 16 mm colour film with inter-titles of Hatley Park property [1937 - 1940]. Promotional film commissioned by the Royal Trust Company. Film by Douglas Flintoff.

Results 101 to 125 of 148