Showing 927 results

archival descriptions
K. McCann
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

919 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Church scene from Much Ado About Nothing. Dola is the friar

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-3-184
  • Item
  • 1920
  • Part of K. McCann

Miss Ransom and Miss Bridges’ School for girls in Piedmont, California, existed from 1908 to 1932. Low enrollments during the Depression years forced the school to close. However, when Dola Dunsmuir attended in 1920, the school was thriving. More than a finishing school for young ladies, the school offered a challenging curriculum for university preparation. The school had accommodation for 50 girls and offered frequent outings to concerts and plays as well as riding and hiking clubs. Students also performed an annual Shakespeare play. Dola is playing the Friar in a scene from Much Ado About Nothing.

Clifton Webb and Eileen Molyneux in a garden

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-3-360
  • Item
  • 1921-1929
  • Part of K. McCann

Clifton Webb (1889-1966) was an actor, dancer, and singer. He performed at Edward Molyneux’s Paris nightclub, with Eileen as his dance partner. Eileen Molyneux (1890-1962) was a maternal cousin of Edward Molyneux and a long-term friend of the Dunsmuir daughters.

Cloth Hall ruins, Ypres

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-3-297
  • Item
  • 1921-1924
  • Part of K. McCann

In the early 1920s, Dunsmuir sisters, Dola and Muriel, and Muriel’s husband, Edward Molyneux, took time to tour the ruins of Europe in the aftermath of the war. Edward Molyneux was an ideal tour guide for the sisters, having served in 1915 with the Duke of Wellington Regiment on the Western Front. Although he was promoted to Captain for his actions in battle, injury resulted in the loss of sight in his left eye and withdrawal from active duty. The Cloth Hall was a medieval commercial building, completed in 1304.

Cloth Hall ruins, Ypres

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-3-299
  • Item
  • 1921-1924
  • Part of K. McCann

The Cloth Hall was a medieval commercial building, completed in 1304. In the early 1920s, Dunsmuir sisters, Dola and Muriel, and Muriel’s husband, Edward Molyneux, took time to tour the ruins of Europe in the aftermath of the war. Edward Molyneux was an ideal tour guide for the sisters, having served in 1915 with the Duke of Wellington Regiment on the Western Front. Although he was promoted to Captain for his actions in battle, injury resulted in the loss of sight in his left eye and withdrawal from active duty.

Cloth Hall tower ruins, Ypres

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-3-298
  • Item
  • 1921-1924
  • Part of K. McCann

The Cloth Hall was a medieval commercial building, completed in 1304. In the early 1920s, Dunsmuir sisters, Dola and Muriel, and Muriel’s husband, Edward Molyneux, took time to tour the ruins of Europe in the aftermath of the war. Edward Molyneux was an ideal tour guide for the sisters, having served in 1915 with the Duke of Wellington Regiment on the Western Front. Although he was promoted to Captain for his actions in battle, injury resulted in the loss of sight in his left eye and withdrawal from active duty.

Conservatory from north east, Hatley Park

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-58
  • Item
  • 1912-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

The walled garden and tennis courts were added as part of extensive development of the estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914. The walled garden contained vegetable and fruit crops as well as the greenhouse complex. The greenhouse and conservatory had a full time manager and required 60 tons of coal and 200 cords of wood per year to heat. The ornate conservatory pictured had a central dome of about 30 ft square, with two side galleries, each 60 ft long. Flowers were grown inside that were intended for display in the castle and in later years it was also used for food production. According to a former gardener, interviewed in the 1950s, Laura Dunsmuir said that the conservatory was an extravagance in a private garden and that it should be in a public park. 

Conservatory from north west, Hatley Park

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-56
  • Item
  • 1912-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

The walled garden and tennis courts were added as part of extensive development of the estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914. The walled garden contained vegetable and fruit crops as well as the greenhouse complex. The greenhouse and conservatory had a full time manager and required 60 tons of coal and 200 cords of wood per year to heat. The ornate conservatory pictured had a central dome of about 30 ft square, with two side galleries, each 60 ft long. Flowers were grown inside that were intended for display in the castle and in later years it was also used for food production. According to a former gardener, interviewed in the 1950s, Laura Dunsmuir said that the conservatory was an extravagance in a private garden and that it should be in a public park.

costumed woman on a horse for a fete at government house

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-3-31
  • Item
  • 1916
  • Part of K. McCann

Garden fete at Government House to aid Prisoners of War fund August 26, 1916. The Dunsmuirs were not present but many of their friends were there in costume. The event included a parade of historical figures.

costumed woman on a horse for a fete at government house

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-3-32
  • Item
  • 1916
  • Part of K. McCann

Garden fete at Government House to aid Prisoners of War fund August 26, 1916. The Dunsmuirs were not present but many of their friends were there in costume. The event included a parade of historical figures.

Covered walkway at dairy, Hatley Park

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-111
  • Item
  • 1913-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

The dairy buildings to the west of the castle were added as part of extensive development of the Hatley Park estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914. A covered walkway joined the milking barns to the bottling plant.

Crimson Paradise Brochure

  • CA RRU 025-002-2-1
  • Item
  • 1933
  • Part of K. McCann

The Crimson Paradise was a film by Kenneth Bishop. It was filmed in part at Hatley Park and the production was financially supported by Kathleen (Dunsmuir) Humphreys. Filming for the Crimson Paradise began in October 1933 and it opened in theatres just six weeks later, billed as Canada’s first all talking motion picture. Unfortunately, the film was reviewed as a 'real turkey' by the manager of Victoria's Capitol Theatre, where it premiered late at night and only ran for three days. The brochure was created for people attending the premier performance. The centre pages are signed 'To Agnes' in ink by the producer, Kenneth Bishop and the main stars, Lucille Brown and Nick Stuart, as well as Kathleen Dunsmuir. An ink spill visible on most of the pages is attributed to Nick Stuart's pen.

damaged building and square

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-3-267
  • Item
  • 1921-1924
  • Part of K. McCann

In the early 1920s, Dunsmuir sisters, Dola and Muriel, and Muriel’s husband, Edward Molyneux, took time to tour the ruins of Europe in the aftermath of the war. Edward Molyneux was an ideal tour guide for the sisters, having served in 1915 with the Duke of Wellington Regiment on the Western Front. Although he was promoted to Captain for his actions in battle, injury resulted in the loss of sight in his left eye and withdrawal from active duty.

damaged buildings, Vimy

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-3-310
  • Item
  • 1921-1924
  • Part of K. McCann

In the early 1920s, Dunsmuir sisters, Dola and Muriel, and Muriel’s husband, Edward Molyneux, took time to tour the ruins of Europe in the aftermath of the war. Edward Molyneux was an ideal tour guide for the sisters, having served in 1915 with the Duke of Wellington Regiment on the Western Front. Although he was promoted to Captain for his actions in battle, injury resulted in the loss of sight in his left eye and withdrawal from active duty.

damaged cathedral

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-3-268
  • Item
  • 1921-1924
  • Part of K. McCann

In the early 1920s, Dunsmuir sisters, Dola and Muriel, and Muriel’s husband, Edward Molyneux, took time to tour the ruins of Europe in the aftermath of the war. Edward Molyneux was an ideal tour guide for the sisters, having served in 1915 with the Duke of Wellington Regiment on the Western Front. Although he was promoted to Captain for his actions in battle, injury resulted in the loss of sight in his left eye and withdrawal from active duty.

Daphne Field and Phoebe Pim (?) Bailey

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-3-228
  • Item
  • 1920
  • Part of K. McCann

Miss Ransom and Miss Bridges’ School for girls in Piedmont, California, existed from 1908 to 1932. Low enrollments during the Depression years forced the school to close. However, when Dola Dunsmuir attended in 1920, the school was thriving. More than a finishing school for young ladies, the school offered a challenging curriculum for university preparation. The school had accommodation for 50 girls and offered frequent outings to concerts and plays as well as riding and hiking clubs. Students also performed an annual Shakespeare play. This picture shows some of Dola’s school friends.

Dola(?) and Muriel on top of a destroyed British tank, exact mark unknown

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-3-321
  • Item
  • 1921-1924
  • Part of K. McCann

In the early 1920s, Dunsmuir sisters, Dola and Muriel, and Muriel’s husband, Edward Molyneux, took time to tour the ruins of Europe in the aftermath of the war. Edward Molyneux was an ideal tour guide for the sisters, having served in 1915 with the Duke of Wellington Regiment on the Western Front. Although he was promoted to Captain for his actions in battle, injury resulted in the loss of sight in his left eye and withdrawal from active duty.

Results 76 to 100 of 927