Hatley Castle from the south. Terrace lawn, people in uniform walking on terrace, indicates this is Naval college era. Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910. It was sold in 1940 to the Canadian Government and became HMCS Royal Roads, a naval training establishment.
castle from north east under construction with stonemasons in front. Walls are mostly built and wood framing for roof is in place. Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910. The construction was overseen by contractor, Thomas Catterall.
Top row L-R: Robin Dunsmuir; Maude (Shoobert) Dunsmuir; John Hope; Maurice Bromley-Wilson; Arthur Bromley; Maye (Dunsmuir) Bromley; Guy Audain. Middle row: Bessie (Dunsmuir) Hope; Laura (Surles) Dunsmuir; James 'Boy' Dunsmuir; James Dunsmuir; Sarah 'Byrdie' (Dunsmuir) Audain. Bottom row: Marion Dunsmuir; Kathleen Dunsmuir; Dola Dunsmuir; James Audain; Elinor Dunsmuir; Muriel Dunsmuir
The gate house on Sooke Road was part of the estate developments made by Brett and Hall from 1912-1914. It was occupied for 20 years by Herman and Theresa Eng. Herman Eng was head gardener at Hatley Park 1913-1932.
The greenhouse and conservatory were constructed and installed by the Lord and Burnham Company and they later used the estate installation in their promotional material. The glass house complex had a full time manager and required 60 tons of coal and 200 cords of wood per year to heat. The ornate conservatory pictured had a central dome of about 30 ft square, with two side galleries, each 60 ft long. Flowers were grown inside that were intended for display in the castle and in later years it was also used for food production. According to a former gardener, interviewed in the 1950s, Laura Dunsmuir said that the conservatory was an extravagance in a private garden and that it should be in a public park.
Image shows the farmhouse at Roland Stuart's Hatley Park estate. In the foreground, the pond that would later form part of the Dunsmuirs' formal gardens is visible. Farm labourers are gathering hay. In the summer of 1903, architect Ridgeway-Wilson was engaged to make some alterations to the home, including the use of a half timber and plaster finish. It is possible that this image post dates the improvements made.