Showing 2252 results

archival descriptions
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

1648 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Conservatory complex from the west. Man stood in front of conservatory

The greenhouse and conservatory were constructed and installed by the Lord and Burnham Company and they later used the estate installation in their promotional material. The glass house complex had a full time manager and required 60 tons of coal and 200 cords of wood per year to heat. The ornate conservatory pictured had a central dome of about 30 ft square, with two side galleries, each 60 ft long. Flowers were grown inside that were intended for display in the castle and in later years it was also used for food production. According to a former gardener, interviewed in the 1950s, Laura Dunsmuir said that the conservatory was an extravagance in a private garden and that it should be in a public park.

panoramic photo of Hatley Park from garden ponds. Italian garden is under construction

The Italian garden is under construction and early Japanese garden (pre stone lined pond) is visible.
The Italian garden to the west of the castle was added as part of extensive development of the Hatley Park estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914.
The upper Japanese garden at Hatley Park was designed by Japanese landscape architect Isaburo Kishida. The garden was installed in 1909 and developed by Tadashi Noda from 1913-1927.

Roland Stuart's Hatley Park

The Hatley Park estate was so named in 1889 when the land was purchased by Roland Stuart and Charles St. Aubyn Pearse. The name derives from the ancestral home of the Pearse family in England. Pearse died in 1901 and Stuart had a number of other business partners and tenant farmers who helped manage the estate.

A large fire destroyed the property in 1905 and shortly after, Roland Stuart put the estate up for sale.

Roland Stuart's Hatley Park home from the pond

Image shows the farmhouse at Roland Stuart's Hatley Park estate. In the foreground, the pond that would later form part of the Dunsmuirs' formal gardens is visible. Farm labourers are gathering hay.
In the summer of 1903, architect Ridgeway-Wilson was engaged to make some alterations to the home, including the use of a half timber and plaster finish. It is possible that this image post dates the improvements made.

Real Estate film

1- 16 mm colour film with inter-titles of Hatley Park property [1937 - 1940]. Promotional film commissioned by the Royal Trust Company. Film by Douglas Flintoff.

J. H. Luttmer

  • 025-005
  • Fonds
  • ca. 1913-1937

The 23 images in the collection are scanned from Joan Humphreys Luttmer’s personal collection. The images are mostly portrait photos of Dunsmuir family members, specifically, grandmother, Laura Dunsmuir, mother, Kathleen Dunsmuir Humphreys, father, Selden Humphreys, and siblings James, Jill and Judy. Various other formal and informal family photos are included.

Dunsmuir Family

Percival Stevenson portrait

Percival Stevenson, husband of Marion Dunsmuir Stevenson (m. 1913). In W.W. I military uniform. Portrait by Langfier, 20 Old Bond Street, London.

Dunsmuir family gathering at "Journey's End"

Dunsmuir family gathering at "Journey's End", 13 subjects include Mrs. Laura Dunsmuir. Caption on back reads: "Muriel's terrace - on Christmas day 1931" L to R back row: Selden Humphries, Jackie Chaplain, Laura Audain, Bessie Hope Droste, Reggie Chaplain, Elinor Dunsmuir, Robin Dunsmuir Jr, Muriel Wingfield, James Audain, Dr. H Wasson. Seated: Maurice 'Tolly' Wingfield, Laura Dunsmuir, Maude Chaplain

Results 2001 to 2025 of 2252