Affichage de 2252 résultats

description archivistique
Options de recherche avancée
Aperçu avant impression Affichage :

1648 résultats avec objets numériques Afficher les résultats avec des objets numériques

McConnell, RH

Russell Henry McConnell attended Royal Roads May to August in 1941, in the second class of RCNVR Special Entry cadets. The first five classes were also known informally as ‘90 Day wonders’, as their wartime training at HMCS Royal Roads was just over 3 months. Born 7 June, 1918, McConnell was an accountant before joining the RCNVR. He was serving in HMCS Raccoon when it was sunk on 7 September, 1942.

Hatley castle from south east at a distance, showing fence on lawns and a bench under the cedar tree.

Hatley castle from south east at a distance, showing fence on lawns and a bench under the cedar tree. Note the apparent rocky outcrop to the right of the castle.
Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910.

Hatley Castle from just west of the croquet lawn

Hatley Castle in the snow from just west of the croquet lawn. Canadian Naval Ensign is flying from flagmast, suggests this is post 1940.
Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910. It was sold in 1940 to the Canadian Government and became HMCS Royal Roads, a naval training establishment.

Hatley Castle from the south, construction workers gathered in foreground

Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910. The construction was overseen by contractor, Thomas Catterall.

Newly completed conservatory north side. Looking south east

The greenhouse and conservatory were constructed and installed by the Lord and Burnham Company and they later used the estate installation in their promotional material. The glass house complex had a full time manager and required 60 tons of coal and 200 cords of wood per year to heat. The ornate conservatory pictured had a central dome of about 30 ft square, with two side galleries, each 60 ft long. Flowers were grown inside that were intended for display in the castle and in later years it was also used for food production. According to a former gardener, interviewed in the 1950s, Laura Dunsmuir said that the conservatory was an extravagance in a private garden and that it should be in a public park.

Early Japanese garden pond from South west

New pavilion is installed, as is floating bridge. South shore of pond is just visible in foreground. The upper Japanese garden at Hatley Park was designed by Japanese landscape architect Isaburo Kishida. The garden was installed in 1909 and developed by Tadashi Noda from 1913-1927.

Résultats 1901 à 1925 sur 2252