Showing 2252 results

archival descriptions
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

1648 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Building and "as built" plans

January 9 and October 1 1974. Drawn by ONO. Main floor shelving and furniture plan. 1 copy of January 9 1974 revision of July 28 1972 original. 2 copies of November 1 1974 "as built" record plan.

Redevelopment of Royal Roads

Date illegible; likely March 20, 1965. Charts campus development to date and presents a proposed land use pattern for future development. Notes on back of plan. 1 page.

Journey's End from the back garden

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-4-7
  • Item
  • 1932-1940
  • Part of K. McCann

In 1928, Muriel Dunsmuir married Maurice “Tolly” Wingfield and by 1932, they had built Journey’s End, a home adjacent to the Hatley Park property and in the Arts and Crafts style. In 1952, it was used as a staff residence for Canadian Services College Royal Roads and since 1988, it has been the administration building for Fort Rodd Hill National Historic Park.

Italian garden, from east, showing birdbath

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-70
  • Item
  • 1912-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

The Italian garden to the west of the castle was added as part of extensive development of the Hatley Park estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914. This image looks between shrubs to the loggia. A birdbath and urn are visible.

Neptune fountain and statuary, Hatley Park

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-71
  • Item
  • 1912-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

The Neptune Steps and fountain court to the north of the castle was added as part of extensive development of the Hatley Park estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914. This images shows that the lions were initially at the top of the steps, although they were moved to their current location at the foot of the steps during the Dunsmuir era at Hatley Park.

Sooke Road gatehouse with two people in driveway, and a cat. Possibly Herman and Theresa Eng

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-71
  • Item
  • 1912-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

The Hatley Park estate was developed from 1912-1914 by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall. This included addition of a new entrance on Sooke Road that would bring the visitor down a winding, serpentine road to the main house. An extensive network of roads and trails were added to the estate. In 1913, Hermann Eng was hired as head gardener. He and his wife Theresa lived in the Sooke Road gatehouse for almost 20 years.

Dunsmuir children among hydrangeas at Burleith

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-6-72
  • Item
  • 1896-1898
  • Part of K. McCann

L to R: Maye, Elinor, Bessie, Muriel, Marion, Kathleen, James.
James Jr., known as Boy by his immediate family, and born in January 1894, is dressed the same as his sisters. In the 19th century, boys and girls were dressed alike until aged about 4. At this time, boys would have a 'breeching ceremony' where their hair would be cut short and they would wear their first pair of trousers. Although less common by the end of the 1800s, the Dunsmuir family followed this tradition.

Results 1851 to 1875 of 2252