Showing 2022 results

archival descriptions
Item
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

1648 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Hatley Castle from just west of the croquet lawn

Hatley Castle in the snow from just west of the croquet lawn. Canadian Naval Ensign is flying from flagmast, suggests this is post 1940.
Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910. It was sold in 1940 to the Canadian Government and became HMCS Royal Roads, a naval training establishment.

Newly completed conservatory north side. Looking south east

The greenhouse and conservatory were constructed and installed by the Lord and Burnham Company and they later used the estate installation in their promotional material. The glass house complex had a full time manager and required 60 tons of coal and 200 cords of wood per year to heat. The ornate conservatory pictured had a central dome of about 30 ft square, with two side galleries, each 60 ft long. Flowers were grown inside that were intended for display in the castle and in later years it was also used for food production. According to a former gardener, interviewed in the 1950s, Laura Dunsmuir said that the conservatory was an extravagance in a private garden and that it should be in a public park.

Early Japanese garden pond from South west

New pavilion is installed, as is floating bridge. South shore of pond is just visible in foreground. The upper Japanese garden at Hatley Park was designed by Japanese landscape architect Isaburo Kishida. The garden was installed in 1909 and developed by Tadashi Noda from 1913-1927.

Percival Stevenson portrait

Percival Stevenson, husband of Marion Dunsmuir Stevenson (m. 1913). In W.W. I military uniform. Portrait by Langfier, 20 Old Bond Street, London.

panoramic photo of Hatley Park from garden ponds. Italian garden is under construction

The Italian garden is under construction and early Japanese garden (pre stone lined pond) is visible.
The Italian garden to the west of the castle was added as part of extensive development of the Hatley Park estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914.
The upper Japanese garden at Hatley Park was designed by Japanese landscape architect Isaburo Kishida. The garden was installed in 1909 and developed by Tadashi Noda from 1913-1927.

Results 126 to 150 of 2022