Showing 1648 results

archival descriptions
With digital objects
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

Inside Conservatory with central dome on left, steps down to greenhouse on the right

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-9
  • Item
  • 1912-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

The greenhouse and conservatory were constructed and installed by the Lord and Burnham Company and they later used the estate installation in their promotional material. The glass house complex had a full time manager and required 60 tons of coal and 200 cords of wood per year to heat. The ornate conservatory pictured had a central dome of about 30 ft square, with two side galleries, each 60 ft long. Flowers were grown inside that were intended for display in the castle and in later years it was also used for food production. According to a former gardener, interviewed in the 1950s, Laura Dunsmuir said that the conservatory was an extravagance in a private garden and that it should be in a public park.

1978-1979 photo album

This album is a series of photographs taken of military officer cadets at Royal Roads Military College in Victoria, BC, Canada. From arrival in the fall until graduation in late spring, this 1978-79 album tells the story of the academic year in photographs.

Journey's End, lawn with birdbath

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-4-9
  • Item
  • 1932-1940
  • Part of K. McCann

In 1928, Muriel Dunsmuir married Maurice “Tolly” Wingfield and by 1932, they had built Journey’s End, a home adjacent to the Hatley Park property and in the Arts and Crafts style. In 1952, it was used as a staff residence for Canadian Services College Royal Roads and since 1988, it has been the administration building for Fort Rodd Hill National Historic Park.

Interior, chest of drawers, Hatley Park

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-89
  • Item
  • 1915-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910.
This image shows a chest of drawers from the third floor bedroom in the central tower of the castle. On the drawers is a portrait of James Dunsmuir Jr. in military uniform and a picture of Laura Dunsmuir. The room was used by Elinor Dunsmuir in the 1930s.

Hatley Park Neptune Staircase, from under port-cochere

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-4-89
  • Item
  • 1938-1940
  • Part of K. McCann

The Neptune Steps and Fountain Court to the north of the castle were added as part of extensive development of the Hatley Park estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914.

When Laura Dunsmuir died in 1937, the house and grounds were maintained by a skeleton staff until it was sold to the Canadian Government in 1940.

Hatley Park Neptune Staircase, from under port-cochere

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-4-88
  • Item
  • 1938-1940
  • Part of K. McCann

The Neptune Steps and Fountain Court to the north of the castle were added as part of extensive development of the Hatley Park estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914.

When Laura Dunsmuir died in 1937, the house and grounds were maintained by a skeleton staff until it was sold to the Canadian Government in 1940.

Interior, Hatley Park

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-88
  • Item
  • 1913-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910.
This image of a room inside Hatley Castle is likely the bedroom suite on the third floor of the central tower. Initially intended for James Dunsmuir Jr., this large suite was inhabited by Elinor Dunsmuir in the 1930s.

Hatley Park Italian Garden from west

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-4-87
  • Item
  • 1938-1940
  • Part of K. McCann

Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910.
The Italian garden to the west of the castle and the croquet lawn below was added as part of extensive development of the Hatley Park estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914.
When Laura Dunsmuir died in 1937, the house and grounds were maintained by a skeleton staff until it was sold to the Canadian Government in 1940.

Results 51 to 75 of 1648