Showing 2054 results

archival descriptions
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

1499 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Hatley Castle

Hatley Castle was designed by Samuel Maclure and built by contractor Thomas Catterall between 1908 and 1910. The castle was owned by the Dunsmuir family from 1908 until 1940 when it was purchased by the Canadian government for use as a Naval training establishment.

Castle hallway from west end.

Castle hallway from west end. Chairs placed outside office and lounge, fireplace on right, an elevator, installed for Laura Dunsmuir in later years, is visible at far end of hall

Hatley Castle from the south

Hatley Castle from the south. Terrace lawn, people in uniform walking on terrace, indicates this is Naval college era. Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910. It was sold in 1940 to the Canadian Government and became HMCS Royal Roads, a naval training establishment.

Results 51 to 75 of 2054