Showing 148 results

archival descriptions
Hatley Park Collection
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

124 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Hatley Castle under construction

Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910. The construction was overseen by contractor, Thomas Catterall.

Hatley castle from south east, on terrace lawn

Hatley castle from south east, on terrace lawn. Significant ivy growth on castle.
Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910.

Laura Dunsmuir in Hatley park drawing room

Image is from a series of photos taken by HU Knight. Other prints from the same photo session appear in different Dunsmuir family albums. On the back of one of the prints is written "taken on my 70th birthday". Laura Dunsmuir was born February 13, 1858.

view of newly completed mews courtyard, west side

The U-shaped stables and garage building was built as part of the estate development by Boston based landscape architects Brett and Hall between 1912 and 1914. The coachman's home was attached to the stables at the east side of the building and the chauffeur’s home was attached to the garages on the west side. Above the garages were single person's accommodation. This image is looking into the south west corner of the courtyard. The carriage house formed the central, south side of the building.

Hatley Castle from North from Neptune Steps

Hatley Castle from North from Neptune Steps. Photo is torn at top and bottom left. Planting along steps is mature.
Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910.

Japanese Gardens

The upper Japanese garden at Hatley Park was designed by Japanese landscape architect Isaburo Kishida. The garden was installed in 1909 and developed by Tadashi Noda from 1913-1927.

Hatley Castle from North East

Hatley Castle from North East. Italian garden and Neptune Steps are completed. Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910. The Italian garden to the west of the castle and the Neptune Steps to the north were added as part of extensive development of the Hatley Park estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914.

unpaved road at Hatley Park

Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. The estate was further developed from 1912-1914 by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall. This included addition of a new entrance on Sooke Road that would bring the visitor down a winding, serpentine road to the main house. An extensive network of roads and trails were added to the estate.

Castle hallway from west end.

Castle hallway from west end. Chairs placed outside office and lounge, fireplace on right, an elevator, installed for Laura Dunsmuir in later years, is visible at far end of hall

Hatley castle from South west, from the croquet lawn

Hatley castle from South west, from the croquet lawn. The castle is covered in ivy and there is a white naval ensign flying at the flagmast, suggesting this image is from military era.
Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910. It was purchased by the Canadian government in 1940 and renamed HMCS, Royal Roads, a naval training establishment.

Results 51 to 75 of 148