Showing 61 results

archival descriptions
B. Citerley Image
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

61 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Sooke Road gatehouse with two people in driveway, and a cat. Possibly Herman and Theresa Eng

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-71
  • Item
  • 1912-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

The Hatley Park estate was developed from 1912-1914 by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall. This included addition of a new entrance on Sooke Road that would bring the visitor down a winding, serpentine road to the main house. An extensive network of roads and trails were added to the estate. In 1913, Hermann Eng was hired as head gardener. He and his wife Theresa lived in the Sooke Road gatehouse for almost 20 years.

Inside conservatory with central dome on right

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-78
  • Item
  • 1912-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

The greenhouse and conservatory were constructed and installed by the Lord and Burnham Company as part of the estate development by Brett and Hall between 1912 and 1914. The glass house complex had a full time manager and required 60 tons of coal and 200 cords of wood per year to heat. The ornate conservatory pictured had a central dome of about 30 ft square, with two side galleries, each 60 ft long. Flowers were grown inside that were intended for display in the castle and in later years it was also used for food production.

A man standing in a long greenhouse behind rows of potted geraniums

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-79
  • Item
  • 1910-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

The shape of this greenhouse is not the same as the Lord and Burnham greenhouses at Hatley Park and may have been on the estate prior to the improvements made by landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912 to 1914. It may also be somewhere other than Hatley Park.

Phillip Francis Hayward home soon after completion

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-83
  • Item
  • 1910-1915
  • Part of B. Citerley

The gardener's cottage outside the walled garden is one of three identical cottages on the Hatley Park estate. The other two are the footman's cottage to the North East of the castle and the butler's cottage by the lagoon on the east side of the creek that runs through the property.

Hatley Park staff at a picnic on a beach.

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-84
  • Item
  • 1913-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

Hatley Park staff and families are gathered for a picnic, probably at Esquimalt Lagoon beach. Coachman, William Edward John ('Fred') Mann is on the right and Phillip Francis Hayward is on the left holding one of his daughters. At the back of the table is Harry Mann, the youngest son of WEJ and Harriet Mann.

Inside Conservatory with central dome on left, steps down to greenhouse on the right

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-9
  • Item
  • 1912-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

The greenhouse and conservatory were constructed and installed by the Lord and Burnham Company and they later used the estate installation in their promotional material. The glass house complex had a full time manager and required 60 tons of coal and 200 cords of wood per year to heat. The ornate conservatory pictured had a central dome of about 30 ft square, with two side galleries, each 60 ft long. Flowers were grown inside that were intended for display in the castle and in later years it was also used for food production. According to a former gardener, interviewed in the 1950s, Laura Dunsmuir said that the conservatory was an extravagance in a private garden and that it should be in a public park.

Results 51 to 61 of 61