Showing 61 results

archival descriptions
B. Citerley Image
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

61 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Lord and Burnham Company (greenhouse manufacturer) advert with picture of Hatley Castle

The greenhouse and conservatory were constructed and installed by the Lord and Burnham Company and they later used the estate installation in their promotional material. The glass house complex had a full time manager and required 60 tons of coal and 200 cords of wood per year to heat. The ornate conservatory had a central dome of about 30 ft square, with two side galleries, each 60 ft long. Flowers were grown inside that were intended for display in the castle and in later years it was also used for food production. According to a former gardener, interviewed in the 1950s, Laura Dunsmuir said that the conservatory was an extravagance in a private garden and that it should be in a public park. This image is part of advertisement in the Florists' Review, published October 26, 1916.

Postcard of Hatley Castle and Italian garden

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-49
  • Item
  • 1915-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

Postcard image of the Italian garden at Hatley Park by John L. Barnard. The postcard may be more modern than the period for other images in this album. It may have been collected by Ella Hayward at a later date.

Baby Frances Hayward and Ella Hayward outside Hayward home at Hatley Park

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-5
  • Item
  • 1913-1916
  • Part of B. Citerley

Phillip Francis Hayward and his family lived in the gardener’s cottage on the west side of the walled garden. His youngest daughter, Frances, was born there in 1913. In this image, the children can be seen playing in the front yard of the cottage as a truck is passing by on the road outside the walled garden.

Newspaper clipping: Florist's Review October 26, 1916, The Lord Dunsmuir Greenhouses at Vancouver, BC

The clipping is part of an advertisement for Lord and Burnham Greenhouses, published in the Florists' Review, October 26, 1916. Note that the headline incorrectly places Hatley Park in Vancouver, B.C., and incorrectly titles James Dunsmuir as a Lord.

The greenhouse and conservatory were constructed and installed by the Lord and Burnham Company and they later used the estate installation in their promotional material. The glass house complex had a full time manager and required 60 tons of coal and 200 cords of wood per year to heat. The ornate conservatory had a central dome of about 30 ft square, with two side galleries, each 60 ft long. Flowers were grown inside that were intended for display in the castle and in later years it was also used for food production. According to a former gardener, interviewed in the 1950s, Laura Dunsmuir said that the conservatory was an extravagance in a private garden and that it should be in a public park.

Conservatory and header house from south. Vegetables are planted in front

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-53
  • Item
  • 1912-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

The header house for the greenhouse complex provided an indoor workspace without taking away from the growing space. The boilers used to heat the greenhouses were kept in the basement of this building.
The greenhouse and conservatory were constructed and installed by the Lord and Burnham Company. The glass house complex had a full time manager and required 60 tons of coal and 200 cords of wood per year to heat. The ornate conservatory had a central dome of about 30 ft square, with two side galleries, each 60 ft long. Flowers were grown inside that were intended for display in the castle and in later years it was also used for food production.
This image shows how the grounds around the greenhouse within the walled garden were also used as a kitchen garden, likely growing such vegetables as cabbages, cauliflower and brussells sprouts.

Hatley Castle from Japanese garden with bridge in foreground

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-54
  • Item
  • 1915-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

The upper Japanese garden at Hatley Park was designed by Japanese landscape architect Isaburo Kishida. The garden was installed in 1909 and developed by Tadashi Noda from 1913-1927. The bridge seen in this photo is part of the developments made by Tadashi Noda.

Hatley Castle through the trees from the northwest

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-59
  • Item
  • 1912-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910. The estate was further developed from 1912-1914 by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall. This included addition of a new entrance on Sooke Road that would bring the visitor down a winding, serpentine road to the main house. This view through the trees was the first glimpse the visitor had of the Dunsmuir's castle.

Conservatory from North West

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-6
  • Item
  • 1910-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

The greenhouse and conservatory were constructed and installed by the Lord and Burnham Company and they later used the estate installation in their promotional material. The glass house complex had a full time manager and required 60 tons of coal and 200 cords of wood per year to heat. The ornate conservatory pictured had a central dome of about 30 ft square, with two side galleries, each 60 ft long. Flowers were grown inside that were intended for display in the castle and in later years it was also used for food production. According to a former gardener, interviewed in the 1950s, Laura Dunsmuir said that the conservatory was an extravagance in a private garden and that it should be in a public park.

Neptune Steps and fountain court at Hatley Park soon after completion.

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-60
  • Item
  • 1912-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

The Neptune Steps and Fountain Court to the north of the castle were added as part of extensive development of the Hatley Park estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914. Note that the lions were originally at the top as part of the fountain court. They moved to the base of the steps sometime between 1920 and 1937.

Greenhouses from the west

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-62
  • Item
  • 1912-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

The greenhouse and conservatory were constructed and installed by the Lord and Burnham Company as part of the estate development by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall. The glass house complex had a full time manager and required 60 tons of coal and 200 cords of wood per year to heat. The ornate conservatory had a central dome of about 30 ft square, with two side galleries, each 60 ft long. Flowers were grown inside that were intended for display in the castle and in later years it was also used for food production. According to a former gardener, interviewed in the 1950s, Laura Dunsmuir said that the conservatory was an extravagance in a private garden and that it should be in a public park.

Hayward family outside cottage at Hatley Park

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-64
  • Item
  • 1913-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

While this image does show the Hayward family outside a cottage at Hatley Park, the surrounding trees suggest it is not the gardener's cottage by the walled garden. Three identical cottages exist on the estate - the gardener's cottage, the footman's cottage, and the butler's cottage. This is most likely the footman's cottage at the north east of the estate, near the original stables and the service entrance to the estate.

Results 26 to 50 of 61