Showing 1873 results

archival descriptions
Item
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

1499 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Hatley Park, Italian Garden from north west

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-4-99
  • Item
  • 1938-1940
  • Part of K. McCann

The Italian garden to the west of the castle and the croquet lawn below was added as part of extensive development of the Hatley Park estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914.

Loewen Sisters at quarantine fence at their home, Rockwood, on the Gorge

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-6-99
  • Item
  • 1895-1900
  • Part of K. McCann

This photo in the Dunsmuir collection is not the Dunsmuirs under quarantine, but friends of theirs. The sign on the fence reads:
“Scarlet Fever- This house quarantined until Oct. 31 by order of George Duncan.”
There was a small outbreak of scarlet fever in the fall of 1895, the possible timing of this photo. At the time, the city health officer, Dr. George H. Duncan, was praised for his swift action to contain the outbreak of contagious disease.
The women pictured are five of the six daughters of Joseph and Eva Loewen, who lived in a home called Rockwood on the Gorge waterway. They were not far from the Dunsmuirs, who in 1895 were living at their grand home on the Gorge, Burleith. The Loewen and Dunsmuir girls were friends and often played together on sports teams and performed in local concerts, several of them being accomplished musicians.
The Loewens sold Rockwood in 1908 and the house soon became associated with scarlet of a different kind. The new owner, Estella Carroll, was better known locally as “the Rockwood Madam” where she operated a house of ill-repute. The Dunsmuirs by this time were living at Government House and awaiting completion of their new home at Hatley Park.

Japanese garden bridge and Hatley Castle

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-97
  • Item
  • 1913-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

The upper Japanese garden at Hatley Park was designed by Japanese landscape architect Isaburo Kashida. The garden was installed in 1909 and developed by Tadashi Noda from 1913-1927.

Italian garden from east, from terrace

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-96
  • Item
  • 1913-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

The Italian garden to the west of the castle was added as part of extensive development of the Hatley Park estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914. This image is taken from the castle terrace, looking west.

Hatley Park, terrace lawn, Italian Garden and croquet lawn on right

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-4-95
  • Item
  • 1938-1940
  • Part of K. McCann

The Italian garden to the west of the castle and the croquet lawn below was added as part of extensive development of the Hatley Park estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914.
When Laura Dunsmuir died in 1937, the house and grounds were maintained by a skeleton staff until it was sold to the Canadian Government in 1940.

Neptune steps from south

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-95
  • Item
  • 1912-1915
  • Part of K. McCann

The Neptune Steps and Fountain Court to the north of the castle were added as part of extensive development of the Hatley Park estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914. This image was taken soon after they were completed because the landscaping is minimal and the lions have not yet been positioned at the bottom of the steps.

Elinor Dunsmuir at Hatley Park

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-94
  • Item
  • 1920-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

Elinor Dunsmuir can be seen at the bottom of this image. Her body has been scribbled out in pen.

Hatley Park, front drive and foot of Neptune Steps

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-4-94
  • Item
  • 1938-1940
  • Part of K. McCann

The Neptune Steps and Fountain Court to the north of the castle were added as part of extensive development of the Hatley Park estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914.

When Laura Dunsmuir died in 1937, the house and grounds were maintained by a skeleton staff until it was sold to the Canadian Government in 1940.

Results 1 to 25 of 1873