Showing 927 results

archival descriptions
K. McCann
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

919 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

K. McCann

  • CA RRU 025-002
  • Fonds
  • ca. 1890-1965, predominant 1908-1940

The fonds consists of photographs handed down through generations in the Dunsmuir family, some of the images are copies made for each of the Dunsmuir family members so there is some duplication across albums. The photo dates range from the late 1800s up to the 1960s. They include images of Hatley Castle, designed by Samuel Maclure, the Japanese Garden, Italian Garden and the Rose Garden and surrounding grounds designed by the Boston landscape architectural firm of Brett and Hall. Buildings on the property include the stables, garage, tennis courts, barns and a Lord and Burnham designed greenhouse. There are also many images of Dunsmuir family members, friends, visitors to Hatley Park and other properties, and trips to other destinations. These people and locations are not always identified.

Additionally, ephemera in this fonds includes an original copy of the Crimson Paradise film premiere program, with autographs from some of the cast, as well as the 1939 Maynard auction catalogue and the visitors book from Dolaura. This book was used first on the family yacht and includes a signature from Kaiser Wilhelm in 1908. In later years, Dola (Dunsmuir) Cavendish (1903-1966), used the book at her home, which was also named Dolaura. A number of celebrity signatures can be found here.

Dunsmuir Family

Photographs

  • CA RRU 025-002-1
  • Series
  • ca. 1890-1960, predominant 1908-1940
  • Part of K. McCann

The photographs cover a period from the late 1800’s up to the 1960’s. They include images of Hatley Castle, designed by Samuel Maclure, the Japanese Garden, Italian Garden and the Rose Garden and surrounding grounds designed by the Boston landscape architectural firm of Brett and Hall. Buildings on the property include the stables, garage, tennis courts, barns and a Lord and Burnham designed greenhouse. There are also many images of Dunsmuir family members, friends, visitors to Hatley Park and other properties, and trips to other destinations. These people and locations are not always identified.

Black Album 1

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1
  • File
  • ca. 1908-1940
  • Part of K. McCann

Black Album 1 mainly contains images around Hatley Park

Waterwheel in Japanese garden

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-1
  • Item
  • 1913-1930
  • Part of K. McCann

The upper Japanese garden at Hatley Park was designed by Japanese landscape architect Isaburo Kashida. The garden was installed in 1909 and developed by Tadashi Noda from 1913-1927. This photo shows the water wheel and the pathway, and is looking north-east through the garden.

Hatley Castle, from north east

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-10
  • Item
  • 1912-1920
  • Part of K. McCann

Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910. This image is a view of the north side of the building. The Italian garden to the west of the castle was added as part of extensive development of the estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914.

Interior, Hatley Park

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-100
  • Item
  • 1913-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910.
This image of a room inside Hatley Castle is likely the bedroom suite on the third floor of the central tower. Initially intended for James Dunsmuir Jr., this large suite was inhabited by Elinor Dunsmuir in the 1930s.

Hatley castle, from south west, at a distance

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-101
  • Item
  • 1913-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910.
This image shows the view to the castle from the lower pond. The fences separate pastureland from the manicured lawns closer to the house.

Hatley Castle, from south west, from croquet lawn

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-102
  • Item
  • 1913-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

The Italian garden and croquet lawn to the west of the castle was added as part of extensive development of the Hatley Park estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914. The lawn is laid out for croquet.

Italian garden from south east

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-103
  • Item
  • 1913-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

The Italian garden to the west of the castle was added as part of extensive development of the Hatley Park estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914.

Winter view looking west from Hatley Castle tower

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-107
  • Item
  • 1913-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

The walled garden visible in the image was added as part of extensive development of the estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914. The walled garden contained vegetable and fruit crops as well as the greenhouse complex. The view west from the castle tower shows how much land was cleared for pasture.

Neptune steps in the snow, from south

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-109
  • Item
  • 1913-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

The Neptune Steps and Fountain Court to the north of the castle were added as part of extensive development of the Hatley Park estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914. This image is taken soon after completion because the lions are not yet at the bottom of the steps.

Hatley Castle from south west, croquet lawn

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-11
  • Item
  • 1912-1920
  • Part of K. McCann

Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910. The Italian garden and croquet lawn to the west of the castle was added as part of extensive development of the estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914. The lawn is laid out for croquet.

Snowy view of stables and garage, from west (dairy)

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-110
  • Item
  • 1913-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

The stables and garages to the west of the castle was added as part of extensive development of the Hatley Park estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914. The estate's laundry building is also visible on the left.

Covered walkway at dairy, Hatley Park

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-111
  • Item
  • 1913-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

The dairy buildings to the west of the castle were added as part of extensive development of the Hatley Park estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914. A covered walkway joined the milking barns to the bottling plant.

Hatley Castle through the trees

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-112
  • Item
  • 1913-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910. The estate was further developed from 1912-1914 by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall. This included addition of a new entrance on Sooke Road that would bring the visitor down a winding, serpentine road to the main house. This view through the trees was the first glimpse the visitor had of the Dunsmuir's castle.

Hatley Castle through the trees

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-113
  • Item
  • 1913-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910. The estate was further developed from 1912-1914 by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall. This included addition of a new entrance on Sooke Road that would bring the visitor down a winding, serpentine road to the main house. This view through the trees was the first glimpse the visitor had of the Dunsmuir's castle.

Road through grounds, Hatley Park

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-114
  • Item
  • 1913-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. The estate was further developed from 1912-1914 by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall. This included addition of a new entrance on Sooke Road that would bring the visitor down a winding, serpentine road to the main house. An extensive network of roads and trails were added to the estate.

Road through grounds, Hatley Park

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-115
  • Item
  • 1913-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. The estate was further developed from 1912-1914 by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall. This included addition of a new entrance on Sooke Road that would bring the visitor down a winding, serpentine road to the main house. An extensive network of roads and trails were added to the estate.

Hatley Castle, from north west

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-116
  • Item
  • 1913-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910.

Hatley Castle, from west

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-117
  • Item
  • 1913-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910.

Results 1 to 25 of 927