Print preview Close

Showing 919 results

archival descriptions
K. McCann With digital objects
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

Group of women wearing HMS Imperieuse boaters

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-6-1
  • Item
  • 1896-1899
  • Part of K. McCann

HMS Imperieuse was the flag ship of the Pacific Fleet of the Royal Navy from 1896-1899. The Pacific Fleet was stationed at what is now CFB Esquimalt. Laura Dunsmuir is possibly second from the left, in the back row.

Crimson Paradise Brochure

  • CA RRU 025-002-2-1
  • Item
  • 1933
  • Part of K. McCann

The Crimson Paradise was a film by Kenneth Bishop. It was filmed in part at Hatley Park and the production was financially supported by Kathleen (Dunsmuir) Humphreys. Filming for the Crimson Paradise began in October 1933 and it opened in theatres just six weeks later, billed as Canada’s first all talking motion picture. Unfortunately, the film was reviewed as a 'real turkey' by the manager of Victoria's Capitol Theatre, where it premiered late at night and only ran for three days. The brochure was created for people attending the premier performance. The centre pages are signed 'To Agnes' in ink by the producer, Kenneth Bishop and the main stars, Lucille Brown and Nick Stuart, as well as Kathleen Dunsmuir. An ink spill visible on most of the pages is attributed to Nick Stuart's pen.

Waterwheel in Japanese garden

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-1
  • Item
  • 1913-1930
  • Part of K. McCann

The upper Japanese garden at Hatley Park was designed by Japanese landscape architect Isaburo Kashida. The garden was installed in 1909 and developed by Tadashi Noda from 1913-1927. This photo shows the water wheel and the pathway, and is looking north-east through the garden.

Journey's End, terrace, lawn and birdbath

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-4-10
  • Item
  • 1932-1940
  • Part of K. McCann

In 1928, Muriel Dunsmuir married Maurice “Tolly” Wingfield and by 1932, they had built Journey’s End, a home adjacent to the Hatley Park property and in the Arts and Crafts style. In 1952, it was used as a staff residence for Canadian Services College Royal Roads and since 1988, it has been the administration building for Fort Rodd Hill National Historic Park.

Hatley Castle, from north east

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-10
  • Item
  • 1912-1920
  • Part of K. McCann

Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910. This image is a view of the north side of the building. The Italian garden to the west of the castle was added as part of extensive development of the estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914.

Hatley Park terrace pathway from east

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-4-100
  • Item
  • 1938-1940
  • Part of K. McCann

Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910.
When Laura Dunsmuir died in 1937, the house and grounds were maintained by a skeleton staff until it was sold to the Canadian Government in 1940.

Interior, Hatley Park

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-100
  • Item
  • 1913-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910.
This image of a room inside Hatley Castle is likely the bedroom suite on the third floor of the central tower. Initially intended for James Dunsmuir Jr., this large suite was inhabited by Elinor Dunsmuir in the 1930s.

Hatley castle, from south west, at a distance

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-101
  • Item
  • 1913-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910.
This image shows the view to the castle from the lower pond. The fences separate pastureland from the manicured lawns closer to the house.

Hatley Park, Italian Garden from north west

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-4-101
  • Item
  • 1938-1940
  • Part of K. McCann

The Italian garden to the west of the castle and the croquet lawn below was added as part of extensive development of the Hatley Park estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914.
When Laura Dunsmuir died in 1937, the house and grounds were maintained by a skeleton staff until it was sold to the Canadian Government in 1940.

Hatley Park, Italian Garden from terrace with caretaker mowing lawn

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-4-102
  • Item
  • 1938-1940
  • Part of K. McCann

The Italian garden to the west of the castle and the croquet lawn below was added as part of extensive development of the Hatley Park estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914.
When Laura Dunsmuir died in 1937, the house and grounds were maintained by a skeleton staff until it was sold to the Canadian Government in 1940.

Hatley Castle, from south west, from croquet lawn

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-102
  • Item
  • 1913-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

The Italian garden and croquet lawn to the west of the castle was added as part of extensive development of the Hatley Park estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914. The lawn is laid out for croquet.

Italian garden from south east

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-1-103
  • Item
  • 1913-1937
  • Part of K. McCann

The Italian garden to the west of the castle was added as part of extensive development of the Hatley Park estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914.

Hatley Park, Italian Garden from north west

  • CA RRU 025-002-1-4-103
  • Item
  • 1938-1940
  • Part of K. McCann

The Italian garden to the west of the castle and the croquet lawn below was added as part of extensive development of the Hatley Park estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914.
When Laura Dunsmuir died in 1937, the house and grounds were maintained by a skeleton staff until it was sold to the Canadian Government in 1940.

Results 1 to 25 of 919