Showing 125 results

archival descriptions
Hatley Park Collection Item
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

124 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Hatley Castle from just west of the croquet lawn

Hatley Castle in the snow from just west of the croquet lawn. Canadian Naval Ensign is flying from flagmast, suggests this is post 1940.
Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910. It was sold in 1940 to the Canadian Government and became HMCS Royal Roads, a naval training establishment.

Hatley Castle from the south west, Japanese garden floating bridge is visible

Hatley Castle from the south west, Japanese garden floating bridge is visible, likely newly installed.
Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910.

Hatley castle from North West

Hatley castle from North West. Road is not yet paved. Steps lead down to where Italian garden will be. Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910. The Italian garden to the west of the castle was added as part of extensive development of the Hatley Park estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914.

Hatley Castle from South East, possibly soon after completion

Hatley Castle from South East, possibly soon after completion. Window awnings on windows, bay trees on terrace, no ivy growth. Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910.

Hatley Castle from north west, through the woods

Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910. The estate was further developed from 1912-1914 by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall. This included addition of a new entrance on Sooke Road that would bring the visitor down a winding, serpentine road to the main house. This view through the trees was the first glimpse the visitor had of the Dunsmuir's castle.

Hatley Castle from south east under construction. Two men in foreground.

Hatley Castle from south east under construction. Two men in foreground. Windows not yet installed.
Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910. The construction was overseen by contractor, Thomas Catterall.

Byrdie Dunsmuir's bridal party

Sarah Byrd 'Byrdie' Dunsmuir married Guy Audain, October 29, 1901. Photo is taken at the Dunsmuir family home, Burleith. L-R back: Maye; Sarah 'Byrdie'; Bessie; Marion; Elinor. Front: Muriel; Kathleen

James Dunsmuir Jr on Kismet outside Hatley Castle. Kismet is moving.

James Dunsmuir Jr, known to his family as ‘Boy’, and to others as Jim, was born in 1894. His childhood education took place at Loretto, a private school in Scotland, where he became an accomplished lightweight boxer. After he completed his schooling, Jim went to Montreal and worked as a private secretary at a bank. With a lifelong love of horses, it came as no surprise that he enlisted in the B.C. Horse and later the 2nd Canadian Mounted Rifles (CMR) stationed at Willows fairground in Victoria at the outbreak of the First World War. Having taken the cavalry school course in Winnipeg, Jim was made a lieutenant, but he quickly grew frustrated with the seemingly endless ceremonial duties of the CMR. Anxious to contribute to the war in Europe, Jim resigned his commission and set sail for England to join a British cavalry regiment. Jim departed from New York on May 1, 1915, on the luxury passenger ship Lusitania. Tragically, as the ship neared the Irish coast on May 7, it was hit by a German torpedo and sank. His body was never recovered.
This photo would have been taken between 1914 and 1915, while James Dunsmuir Jr was stationed in Victoria. There are similar versions of this photograph in this and other collections.

Stables courtyard with 8 horses on display

Harry Mann holds Dola's horse, Beauty on left, James Dunsmuir Jr. holds two horses and Mann family members hold the remaining 5 horses.
Coachman, William Edward John (‘Fred’) Mann, was in charge of the stables at Hatley Park. Also employed were his sons, Charlie, Bill and Jack. His youngest son, Harry, also helped out in the stables when not attending school. They are standing in the courtyard of the U-shaped stables and garage building. The coachman's home was attached to the stables at the east side of the building and the chauffeur’s home was attached to the garages on the west side. The building was added as part of the extensive estate development by Brett and Hall, 1912-1914.

East wall of croquet lawn under construction

Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910. The construction was overseen by contractor, Thomas Catterall. The Italian garden to the west of the castle was added as part of extensive development of the Hatley Park estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914.

Results 1 to 25 of 125