Showing 63 results

archival descriptions
B. Citerley
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

61 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Inside Conservatory with central dome on left, steps down to greenhouse on the right

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-9
  • Item
  • 1912-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

The greenhouse and conservatory were constructed and installed by the Lord and Burnham Company and they later used the estate installation in their promotional material. The glass house complex had a full time manager and required 60 tons of coal and 200 cords of wood per year to heat. The ornate conservatory pictured had a central dome of about 30 ft square, with two side galleries, each 60 ft long. Flowers were grown inside that were intended for display in the castle and in later years it was also used for food production. According to a former gardener, interviewed in the 1950s, Laura Dunsmuir said that the conservatory was an extravagance in a private garden and that it should be in a public park.

Hatley Park staff at a picnic on a beach.

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-84
  • Item
  • 1913-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

Hatley Park staff and families are gathered for a picnic, probably at Esquimalt Lagoon beach. Coachman, William Edward John ('Fred') Mann is on the right and Phillip Francis Hayward is on the left holding one of his daughters. At the back of the table is Harry Mann, the youngest son of WEJ and Harriet Mann.

Phillip Francis Hayward home soon after completion

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-83
  • Item
  • 1910-1915
  • Part of B. Citerley

The gardener's cottage outside the walled garden is one of three identical cottages on the Hatley Park estate. The other two are the footman's cottage to the North East of the castle and the butler's cottage by the lagoon on the east side of the creek that runs through the property.

A man standing in a long greenhouse behind rows of potted geraniums

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-79
  • Item
  • 1910-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

The shape of this greenhouse is not the same as the Lord and Burnham greenhouses at Hatley Park and may have been on the estate prior to the improvements made by landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912 to 1914. It may also be somewhere other than Hatley Park.

Inside conservatory with central dome on right

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-78
  • Item
  • 1912-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

The greenhouse and conservatory were constructed and installed by the Lord and Burnham Company as part of the estate development by Brett and Hall between 1912 and 1914. The glass house complex had a full time manager and required 60 tons of coal and 200 cords of wood per year to heat. The ornate conservatory pictured had a central dome of about 30 ft square, with two side galleries, each 60 ft long. Flowers were grown inside that were intended for display in the castle and in later years it was also used for food production.

Sooke Road gatehouse with two people in driveway, and a cat. Possibly Herman and Theresa Eng

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-71
  • Item
  • 1912-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

The Hatley Park estate was developed from 1912-1914 by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall. This included addition of a new entrance on Sooke Road that would bring the visitor down a winding, serpentine road to the main house. An extensive network of roads and trails were added to the estate. In 1913, Hermann Eng was hired as head gardener. He and his wife Theresa lived in the Sooke Road gatehouse for almost 20 years.

Hayward family outside cottage at Hatley Park

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-64
  • Item
  • 1913-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

While this image does show the Hayward family outside a cottage at Hatley Park, the surrounding trees suggest it is not the gardener's cottage by the walled garden. Three identical cottages exist on the estate - the gardener's cottage, the footman's cottage, and the butler's cottage. This is most likely the footman's cottage at the north east of the estate, near the original stables and the service entrance to the estate.

Greenhouses from the west

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-62
  • Item
  • 1912-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

The greenhouse and conservatory were constructed and installed by the Lord and Burnham Company as part of the estate development by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall. The glass house complex had a full time manager and required 60 tons of coal and 200 cords of wood per year to heat. The ornate conservatory had a central dome of about 30 ft square, with two side galleries, each 60 ft long. Flowers were grown inside that were intended for display in the castle and in later years it was also used for food production. According to a former gardener, interviewed in the 1950s, Laura Dunsmuir said that the conservatory was an extravagance in a private garden and that it should be in a public park.

Neptune Steps and fountain court at Hatley Park soon after completion.

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-60
  • Item
  • 1912-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

The Neptune Steps and Fountain Court to the north of the castle were added as part of extensive development of the Hatley Park estate by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912-1914. Note that the lions were originally at the top as part of the fountain court. They moved to the base of the steps sometime between 1920 and 1937.

Conservatory from North West

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-6
  • Item
  • 1910-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

The greenhouse and conservatory were constructed and installed by the Lord and Burnham Company and they later used the estate installation in their promotional material. The glass house complex had a full time manager and required 60 tons of coal and 200 cords of wood per year to heat. The ornate conservatory pictured had a central dome of about 30 ft square, with two side galleries, each 60 ft long. Flowers were grown inside that were intended for display in the castle and in later years it was also used for food production. According to a former gardener, interviewed in the 1950s, Laura Dunsmuir said that the conservatory was an extravagance in a private garden and that it should be in a public park.

Hatley Castle through the trees from the northwest

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-59
  • Item
  • 1912-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910. The estate was further developed from 1912-1914 by Boston based landscape architects, Brett and Hall. This included addition of a new entrance on Sooke Road that would bring the visitor down a winding, serpentine road to the main house. This view through the trees was the first glimpse the visitor had of the Dunsmuir's castle.

Hatley Castle from Japanese garden with bridge in foreground

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-54
  • Item
  • 1915-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

The upper Japanese garden at Hatley Park was designed by Japanese landscape architect Isaburo Kishida. The garden was installed in 1909 and developed by Tadashi Noda from 1913-1927. The bridge seen in this photo is part of the developments made by Tadashi Noda.

Conservatory and header house from south. Vegetables are planted in front

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-53
  • Item
  • 1912-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

The header house for the greenhouse complex provided an indoor workspace without taking away from the growing space. The boilers used to heat the greenhouses were kept in the basement of this building.
The greenhouse and conservatory were constructed and installed by the Lord and Burnham Company. The glass house complex had a full time manager and required 60 tons of coal and 200 cords of wood per year to heat. The ornate conservatory had a central dome of about 30 ft square, with two side galleries, each 60 ft long. Flowers were grown inside that were intended for display in the castle and in later years it was also used for food production.
This image shows how the grounds around the greenhouse within the walled garden were also used as a kitchen garden, likely growing such vegetables as cabbages, cauliflower and brussells sprouts.

Results 1 to 25 of 63