Showing 61 results

archival descriptions
B. Citerley With digital objects
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

Hatley Castle from the east driveway, soon after completion

Hatley Castle was designed by renowned British Columbia architect Samuel Maclure for James Dunsmuir. Using only the finest materials, builders, stonemasons and detail carpenters only took 18 months to construct the building from 1908 until 1910.

Hatley Park staff at a picnic on the beach

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-12
  • Item
  • 1910-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

Hatley Park staff and families are gathered for a picnic, probably at Esquimalt Lagoon beach. William Edward John ('Fred') Mann is on the right and Phillip Francis Hayward is on the left holding one of his daughters. At the back of the table is Harry Mann, the youngest son of WEJ and Harriet Mann.

Photo of a group of 20 people gathered around a table

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-13
  • Item
  • 1910-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

A large group of Hatley Park staff and families are gathered in the home of (probably) Peter and Ingeborg Bugslag, who are at the head of the table on the right hand side of the image. Also in the picture are some of the daughters of Peter and Ingeborg; John Jameson, footman, is possibly the man seated third from left and behind him are the chauffeur, Dirk Frans Van Maastricht, and gardener, Phillip Francis Hayward (holding his daughter). Other people are unidentified.

Phillip Francis Hayward in a greenhouse

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-16
  • Item
  • 1910-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

Phillip Francis Hayward is standing in a greenhouse full of potted, flowering plants. The shape of this greenhouse is not the same as the Lord and Burnham greenhouse and may have been on the estate prior to the improvements made by landscape architects, Brett and Hall from 1912 to 1914. It may also be somewhere other than Hatley Park.

Phillip Francis Hayward in work overalls at conservatory entrance

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-24
  • Item
  • 1912-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

The greenhouse and conservatory were constructed and installed by the Lord and Burnham Company and they later used the estate installation in their promotional material. The glass house complex had a full time manager and required 60 tons of coal and 200 cords of wood per year to heat. The ornate conservatory pictured had a central dome of about 30 ft square, with two side galleries, each 60 ft long. Flowers were grown inside that were intended for display in the castle and in later years it was also used for food production. According to a former gardener, interviewed in the 1950s, Laura Dunsmuir said that the conservatory was an extravagance in a private garden and that it should be in a public park.

Newly built garages from the west

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-28
  • Item
  • 1912-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

The stables and garage building was added as part of the extensive estate development by Brett and Hall, 1912-1914. The building was U-shaped with the stables on the east side and the garages on the west. Homes for the head coachman and the chauffeur were attached at the north end of each wing. The land around the building was cultivated for growing cereal crops.

child in a toy car

  • CA RRU 025-008-1-37
  • Item
  • 1913-1920
  • Part of B. Citerley

This toy car is also visible in the K. McCann fonds, image 1-3-85, where an adult woman is seated in the car in the Italian garden.

Results 1 to 25 of 61